2012 Mayan Doomsday Countdown: Turkey’s Sirince Another Refuge for Armageddon Onslaught?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 14, 2012 2:03 PM EST
Today is the last Friday to the supposed end of the world on December 21, 2012, according to cultists of the Mayan calendar doomsday countdown. Seven more days to go and the planet Earth will witness its last, final moments, so they say. As the number of days get shorter towards the much anticipated D-Day, believers of the doomsday phenomenon all the more get agitated looking for a possible area for refuge against the impending Armageddon. Next to France's Bugarach town and Serbia's Mount Rtanj, the Turkish village of Sirince on a hill has cropped up among the lists of places possible to offer sanctuary.
In fact, Sirince, a village of less than a thousand inhabitants, have reported experiencing an unusual high number tourist bookings, which have prompted locals to seize on the opportunity to jack up prices of accommodations. According to The Telegraph, hotel room accommodations usually priced at 100 Turkish Lira, or about US$56 per night, have been jacked up to a whopping 3,000 Turkish Lira, or US$1,683.75 per night.
Located near the ancient Greek city of Ephesus, doomsday cultists deemed Sirince holds a positive energy because it is close to an area where the Virgin Mary, according to Christians and Catholics, believed to have into heaven.
"It is the first time we witness such an interest during the winter season," Ilkan Gulgun, one of Sirince's many hotel owners, was quoted by the media.
Mayan doomsday cultists believed Sirince's positive energy would help protect them from apocalyptical onslaught, Mr Gulgun said.
Apart from the jacking up on hotel accommodation rates, other enterprising businessmen from the area have also seized the opportunity to promote their products in view of the Mayan doomsday meltdown.
A Turkish businessman named Erkan Onoglu has reportedly formulated a special "wine of the Apocalypse" for December 21. Sirince incidentally is well known for its fruit wines made from raspberries, blackberries, apples and mulberries, among others.
Sirince expects to host more than 60,000 visitors next week in the lead up to the Mayan doomsday countdown prophecy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports