2012 Mayan Doomsday Countdown: Turkey’s Sirince Another Refuge for Armageddon Onslaught?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 14, 2012 2:03 PM EST
Today is the last Friday to the supposed end of the world on December 21, 2012, according to cultists of the Mayan calendar doomsday countdown. Seven more days to go and the planet Earth will witness its last, final moments, so they say. As the number of days get shorter towards the much anticipated D-Day, believers of the doomsday phenomenon all the more get agitated looking for a possible area for refuge against the impending Armageddon. Next to France's Bugarach town and Serbia's Mount Rtanj, the Turkish village of Sirince on a hill has cropped up among the lists of places possible to offer sanctuary.
In fact, Sirince, a village of less than a thousand inhabitants, have reported experiencing an unusual high number tourist bookings, which have prompted locals to seize on the opportunity to jack up prices of accommodations. According to The Telegraph, hotel room accommodations usually priced at 100 Turkish Lira, or about US$56 per night, have been jacked up to a whopping 3,000 Turkish Lira, or US$1,683.75 per night.
Located near the ancient Greek city of Ephesus, doomsday cultists deemed Sirince holds a positive energy because it is close to an area where the Virgin Mary, according to Christians and Catholics, believed to have into heaven.
"It is the first time we witness such an interest during the winter season," Ilkan Gulgun, one of Sirince's many hotel owners, was quoted by the media.
Mayan doomsday cultists believed Sirince's positive energy would help protect them from apocalyptical onslaught, Mr Gulgun said.
Apart from the jacking up on hotel accommodation rates, other enterprising businessmen from the area have also seized the opportunity to promote their products in view of the Mayan doomsday meltdown.
A Turkish businessman named Erkan Onoglu has reportedly formulated a special "wine of the Apocalypse" for December 21. Sirince incidentally is well known for its fruit wines made from raspberries, blackberries, apples and mulberries, among others.
Sirince expects to host more than 60,000 visitors next week in the lead up to the Mayan doomsday countdown prophecy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?