Psy’s Gangnam Style Tops Google Search in Australia, Gets Over 900 Million Views in YouTube
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 14, 2012 10:31 AM EST
The official video of Korean pop star Psy had reached more than 900 million views on YouTube as of Friday and topped the search list on Google Australia.
The video, according to YouTube, has been only for 5 months and is now a phenomenal record-breaker in the video sharing site and had overtook Justin Bieber's Baby with more than 800 million views over 2 years in the Web site. The same video also topped the list in New Zealand and at 985 million hits would likely go past the one billionth mark before 2012 ends.
Google Top 10 Searches in Australia are as follows:
1. Gangnam Style - K-Pop single from Psy
2. The Voice - A vocal competition series featuring four musician coaches and the latest news include tATu reuniting on the The Voice Romania
3. One Direction - English-Irish boy band
4. Whitney Houston - American recording artist and 2009 Guinness World Records cited as the most awarded female act of all time
5. Olympics - A major international event featuring summer and winter sports
6. Oz Lotto - One of the country's top gaming sites.
7. Diablo III - An action role-playing video game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment
8. Hurricane Sandy - The weather disturbance that devastated portions of the Caribbean and mid-Atlantic and northeastern United States in October 2012
9. KONY - A short film created by Invisible Children, Inc. about the Invisible Children's plans and efforts to arrest Joseph Kony
10. Morgan Freeman - American actor, film director, and narrator.
For the People trending list in Google Australia, Whitney Houston topped the roster followed by Kate Middleton and Morgan Freeman.
Trending Australian News Moments list makes Hurricane Sandy number 1 in the Google trending with Julian Assange, and Felix Baumgartner in number 2 and number 3, respectively.
In the Australian Celebrities trending list, Robin Gibb, Barry Gibb, and Lara Bingle were listed as numbers 1, 2 and 3 respectively. For most searched Australian Celebrities, Lara Bingle, Miranda Kerr and Delta Goodrem filled the 1, 2, and 3 spots.
Most Search Deaths had Whitney Houston, Michael Clarke Duncan and Tony Scott in the top three listing.
Home and Away ranked as most searched TV Shows followed by Big Brother and The Voice.
Trending Shows display differently, The Voice ranked number 1, Big Brother is still in number 2, while the Shire took the number 3 spot.
Toyota, Ford and Holden held the top three Most Searched Cars in Google Australia.
Gangnam Style is also number one in Trending Songs followed by Call Me Maybe and Skinny Love.
Most Search Fashion placed ASOS at number 1 with Forever New and Country Road at number 2 and 3 spots.
The Most Searched Athletes list was topped by Lance Armstrong with Usain Bolt and Roger Federer in number 2 and 3 places, respectively.
Sydney Swans is most searched Australian Sports Teams, Essendon follows at number 2, and Melbourne Storm was in number 3.
In Most Searched Australian NRL Teams, the Melbourne Storm ranked number 1, followed by West Tigers, and Brisbane Broncos.
Pizza Hut is number 1 most searched Foods & Drinks placing McDonalds in number 2 and Coffee at number 3.
Psy, with his new-found popularity, is certainly dancing his way to the bank, of course, Gangnam style!
To contact the editor, e-mail: