Blade-Runner Oscar Pistorius Races against Arab Horse [VIDEO]
By Dominic Gover | December 14, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius has taken his quest to change perceptions of disabled sport to another unusual place - by racing against a horse in Doha.
The South African speed king spends much of his running career overturning expectations. Over the summer the Parlympian took part in the regular Olympics Games in London against non-dsiabled runners.
So it was no surprise to see him go blade to hoof against an Arab horse. The creature was picked because of the special place it occupies in local culture.
And he beat his equine opponent in what was a rare win for a man against a horse.
Pistorius said: "Hopefully [the race] will do a lot to change the perception of people with disabilities in this region.
"It was not about who won, it was about coming here and showing that people with disabilities are not to be stereotyped.
"The Arab horse is a symbol of strength and power in this region so to be able to come and do this showpiece event was a lot of fun."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop