Blade-Runner Oscar Pistorius Races against Arab Horse [VIDEO]
By Dominic Gover | December 14, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius has taken his quest to change perceptions of disabled sport to another unusual place - by racing against a horse in Doha.
The South African speed king spends much of his running career overturning expectations. Over the summer the Parlympian took part in the regular Olympics Games in London against non-dsiabled runners.
So it was no surprise to see him go blade to hoof against an Arab horse. The creature was picked because of the special place it occupies in local culture.
And he beat his equine opponent in what was a rare win for a man against a horse.
Pistorius said: "Hopefully [the race] will do a lot to change the perception of people with disabilities in this region.
"It was not about who won, it was about coming here and showing that people with disabilities are not to be stereotyped.
"The Arab horse is a symbol of strength and power in this region so to be able to come and do this showpiece event was a lot of fun."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery