Fergie Plots January Sale to Fund Move for Celtic Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | December 13, 2012 11:03 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly prepared to allow Nani to leave in the January transfer window in order to fund a move for Celtic ace Victor Wanyama.
The Kenya international has caught the eye with his performances in the Champions League and was particularly impressive as Celtic managed to cause a major upset by beating Barcelona at Celtic Park.
Wanyama's powerful performances in the heart of midfield have alerted a number of clubs, but it is Manchester United who have been the most strongly linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.
The Manchester Evening News has reported that chief European scout Martin Ferguson attended the Barcelona game last month and was specifically ordered to check out the performance of Wanyama.
Now it seems the United boss is ready to sanction a bid in the January transfer window as he attempts to convince Wanyama to make the move to the Premier League.
However, this could be a difficult proposition during the winter window as Celtic have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, and Wanyama would be ineligible to play for another side in the competition this season.
While United consider making an offer to Celtic, it has also been reported that Ferguson has decided to cut his losses with inconsistent winger Nani and is prepared to listen to offers when the transfer window opens next month.
The Portugal international has failed to hold down a place in the Manchester United first team this season as Ferguson has preferred to use the combination of Ashley Young and Anotnio Valencia.
Nani's fall away from the first team has also coincided with his refusal to sign a new contract, with reports suggesting that United will look to sell the winger for around £20million.
This would provide significant funds to sign Wanyama who would certainly provide some steel to the centre of midfield, as well as an ability to influence play going forward.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report