Fergie Plots January Sale to Fund Move for Celtic Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | December 13, 2012 11:03 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly prepared to allow Nani to leave in the January transfer window in order to fund a move for Celtic ace Victor Wanyama.
The Kenya international has caught the eye with his performances in the Champions League and was particularly impressive as Celtic managed to cause a major upset by beating Barcelona at Celtic Park.
Wanyama's powerful performances in the heart of midfield have alerted a number of clubs, but it is Manchester United who have been the most strongly linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.
The Manchester Evening News has reported that chief European scout Martin Ferguson attended the Barcelona game last month and was specifically ordered to check out the performance of Wanyama.
Now it seems the United boss is ready to sanction a bid in the January transfer window as he attempts to convince Wanyama to make the move to the Premier League.
However, this could be a difficult proposition during the winter window as Celtic have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, and Wanyama would be ineligible to play for another side in the competition this season.
While United consider making an offer to Celtic, it has also been reported that Ferguson has decided to cut his losses with inconsistent winger Nani and is prepared to listen to offers when the transfer window opens next month.
The Portugal international has failed to hold down a place in the Manchester United first team this season as Ferguson has preferred to use the combination of Ashley Young and Anotnio Valencia.
Nani's fall away from the first team has also coincided with his refusal to sign a new contract, with reports suggesting that United will look to sell the winger for around £20million.
This would provide significant funds to sign Wanyama who would certainly provide some steel to the centre of midfield, as well as an ability to influence play going forward.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’