Fergie Plots January Sale to Fund Move for Celtic Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | December 13, 2012 11:03 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly prepared to allow Nani to leave in the January transfer window in order to fund a move for Celtic ace Victor Wanyama.
The Kenya international has caught the eye with his performances in the Champions League and was particularly impressive as Celtic managed to cause a major upset by beating Barcelona at Celtic Park.
Wanyama's powerful performances in the heart of midfield have alerted a number of clubs, but it is Manchester United who have been the most strongly linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.
The Manchester Evening News has reported that chief European scout Martin Ferguson attended the Barcelona game last month and was specifically ordered to check out the performance of Wanyama.
Now it seems the United boss is ready to sanction a bid in the January transfer window as he attempts to convince Wanyama to make the move to the Premier League.
However, this could be a difficult proposition during the winter window as Celtic have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, and Wanyama would be ineligible to play for another side in the competition this season.
While United consider making an offer to Celtic, it has also been reported that Ferguson has decided to cut his losses with inconsistent winger Nani and is prepared to listen to offers when the transfer window opens next month.
The Portugal international has failed to hold down a place in the Manchester United first team this season as Ferguson has preferred to use the combination of Ashley Young and Anotnio Valencia.
Nani's fall away from the first team has also coincided with his refusal to sign a new contract, with reports suggesting that United will look to sell the winger for around £20million.
This would provide significant funds to sign Wanyama who would certainly provide some steel to the centre of midfield, as well as an ability to influence play going forward.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How