Fergie Plots January Sale to Fund Move for Celtic Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | December 13, 2012 11:03 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly prepared to allow Nani to leave in the January transfer window in order to fund a move for Celtic ace Victor Wanyama.
The Kenya international has caught the eye with his performances in the Champions League and was particularly impressive as Celtic managed to cause a major upset by beating Barcelona at Celtic Park.
Wanyama's powerful performances in the heart of midfield have alerted a number of clubs, but it is Manchester United who have been the most strongly linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.
The Manchester Evening News has reported that chief European scout Martin Ferguson attended the Barcelona game last month and was specifically ordered to check out the performance of Wanyama.
Now it seems the United boss is ready to sanction a bid in the January transfer window as he attempts to convince Wanyama to make the move to the Premier League.
However, this could be a difficult proposition during the winter window as Celtic have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, and Wanyama would be ineligible to play for another side in the competition this season.
While United consider making an offer to Celtic, it has also been reported that Ferguson has decided to cut his losses with inconsistent winger Nani and is prepared to listen to offers when the transfer window opens next month.
The Portugal international has failed to hold down a place in the Manchester United first team this season as Ferguson has preferred to use the combination of Ashley Young and Anotnio Valencia.
Nani's fall away from the first team has also coincided with his refusal to sign a new contract, with reports suggesting that United will look to sell the winger for around £20million.
This would provide significant funds to sign Wanyama who would certainly provide some steel to the centre of midfield, as well as an ability to influence play going forward.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan