Fergie Plots January Sale to Fund Move for Celtic Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | December 13, 2012 11:03 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly prepared to allow Nani to leave in the January transfer window in order to fund a move for Celtic ace Victor Wanyama.
The Kenya international has caught the eye with his performances in the Champions League and was particularly impressive as Celtic managed to cause a major upset by beating Barcelona at Celtic Park.
Wanyama's powerful performances in the heart of midfield have alerted a number of clubs, but it is Manchester United who have been the most strongly linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.
The Manchester Evening News has reported that chief European scout Martin Ferguson attended the Barcelona game last month and was specifically ordered to check out the performance of Wanyama.
Now it seems the United boss is ready to sanction a bid in the January transfer window as he attempts to convince Wanyama to make the move to the Premier League.
However, this could be a difficult proposition during the winter window as Celtic have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, and Wanyama would be ineligible to play for another side in the competition this season.
While United consider making an offer to Celtic, it has also been reported that Ferguson has decided to cut his losses with inconsistent winger Nani and is prepared to listen to offers when the transfer window opens next month.
The Portugal international has failed to hold down a place in the Manchester United first team this season as Ferguson has preferred to use the combination of Ashley Young and Anotnio Valencia.
Nani's fall away from the first team has also coincided with his refusal to sign a new contract, with reports suggesting that United will look to sell the winger for around £20million.
This would provide significant funds to sign Wanyama who would certainly provide some steel to the centre of midfield, as well as an ability to influence play going forward.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier