Real Madrid Plan for Gareth Bale Arrival - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 13, 2012 10:31 PM EST
Chelsea may be interested in a bid for Real Madrid left back Marcelo, as rumours of a mega-bid from the Spanish champions, for Tottenham winger Gareth Bale, continue to grow. The Daily Star believes the Santiago Bernabeu club will bid £57m for the Welshman and up to £25m of that could come from the South American's potential transfer to Stamford Bridge.
The European champions have England international Ashley Cole in that position for now but the 31 year old is in the final season of his contract with the club and no extensions have been announced, meaning Roman Abramovich will likely need to open his purse strings once again.
Bale was strongly linked with a move abroad this summer, following the high-profile switch of former White Hart Lane team mate Luka Modric to the Spanish capital. Tottenham coach Andre Villas-Boas has been quoted as suggesting the club would find it difficult to keep the Welshman should Madrid being their chase in earnest. And the player himself has admitted to wanting to move to a different league and experience Champions League football regularly. The good news for Spurs fans and chairman Daniel Levy is Bale is tied to the club till 2016, following a summer extension.
Chelsea were also linked with 19 year old Lille left back Lucas Digne earlier in the summer. And a move for the French international may still be an option for Rafael Benitez's side. However, given that Digne too has extended his contract (to 2017) and is already a regular in the national team, Lille are likely to value him very highly, meaning a move for Marcelo may be the better option.
Chelsea also have youngster Ryan Bertrand as an option. The Stamford Bridge academy graduate was highly thought of by former manager Roberto Di Matteo and the 23 year old has put in some impressive performances this season.
However, the question must be - is Abramovich willing to let Bertrand grow within the first team or will the lure of a big money signing like Marcelo carry the day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports