Real Madrid Plan for Gareth Bale Arrival - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 13, 2012 10:31 PM EST
Chelsea may be interested in a bid for Real Madrid left back Marcelo, as rumours of a mega-bid from the Spanish champions, for Tottenham winger Gareth Bale, continue to grow. The Daily Star believes the Santiago Bernabeu club will bid £57m for the Welshman and up to £25m of that could come from the South American's potential transfer to Stamford Bridge.
The European champions have England international Ashley Cole in that position for now but the 31 year old is in the final season of his contract with the club and no extensions have been announced, meaning Roman Abramovich will likely need to open his purse strings once again.
Bale was strongly linked with a move abroad this summer, following the high-profile switch of former White Hart Lane team mate Luka Modric to the Spanish capital. Tottenham coach Andre Villas-Boas has been quoted as suggesting the club would find it difficult to keep the Welshman should Madrid being their chase in earnest. And the player himself has admitted to wanting to move to a different league and experience Champions League football regularly. The good news for Spurs fans and chairman Daniel Levy is Bale is tied to the club till 2016, following a summer extension.
Chelsea were also linked with 19 year old Lille left back Lucas Digne earlier in the summer. And a move for the French international may still be an option for Rafael Benitez's side. However, given that Digne too has extended his contract (to 2017) and is already a regular in the national team, Lille are likely to value him very highly, meaning a move for Marcelo may be the better option.
Chelsea also have youngster Ryan Bertrand as an option. The Stamford Bridge academy graduate was highly thought of by former manager Roberto Di Matteo and the 23 year old has put in some impressive performances this season.
However, the question must be - is Abramovich willing to let Bertrand grow within the first team or will the lure of a big money signing like Marcelo carry the day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More