Google’s Nexus 4 is Secretly LTE-Capable in Selected U.S., Canadian Spots
By Erik Pineda | December 13, 2012 3:47 PM EST
Deeper probes of the Nexus 4 revealed that in specific cases and locations the Google smartphone is able to access LTE networks in the United States and Canada, numerous blog reports said.
Those intrepid developers from XDA unlocked this hidden Nexus 4 feature, apparently thanks to an embedded LTE chip that was left attached to the Nexus 4 main board by LG when it agreed to manufacture the handset exclusively for Google.
Note that the basic structure of the Google smartphone was wholly based by LG on its high-end handset - the Optimus G.
This function was designed 'to simply sleep' for the life of the hit gadget but users willing to poke enough should discover that Nexus 4, apart from connecting on 3G and HSPA+ networks, can also access LTE via these AT&T spectrums in the United States: AWS 1700 and 2100MHz.
According to Android Police, residents in these U.S. cities with Nexus 4 on their hands can enjoy super-fast wireless connection: Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago and Charlotte.
They need, however, to prompt the connection by pulling up the Phone Information menu on the screen.
For easy access of this function, Nexus 4 owners need to key-in the following on the phone dialler: *--4636--*. And just to be sure, it is advisable to manually configure the 4G LTE APN, according to XDA Developers.
However, there is no solid assurance that even when located in the areas mentioned above and your Nexus 4 is all set up, you'll be surfing your way to speedy broadband connection.
This is basically driving your Nexus 4 on uncharted territories, which you will be doing at your own risk. But maybe, you'll gain some benefits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8