Manny Pacquiao Aides Assaulted Getty Images Lensman Al Bello
By Erik Pineda | December 13, 2012 3:41 PM EST
There was a side melee that erupted during the epic Pacquiao-Marquez battle in Las Vegas last weekend, reports said.
The commotion, according to Yahoo Sports, involved two key members of Team Pacquiao and a Getty Images photographer who Yahoo identified as Al Bello.
Mr Bello allegedly earned the ire of Michael Koncz and Buboy Fernandez, both part of the Pacquiao entourage and serve the prized-fighter as adviser and trainer respectively. The two, Yahoo said, ran after the sports photographer for taking pictures of the fallen Pacquiao.
Mr Pacquiao was knocked out Saturday by Mexican pugilist Juan Manuel Marquez in the dying seconds of round six of their fight, the former surprised by a strong counterpunch that sent him lying, face-first, on the floor.
As he was about to take shot of the downed Pacquiao, Mr Bello said he was 'requested' by Freddie Roach, the fighter's chief trainer, to leave the fighter alone. Before the photographer could move an inch, Mr Fernandez was already after him, prompting him to flee the ring and escape further trouble.
On the way down, Mr Koncz reportedly grabbed the sports journalist by the shirt while Mr Fernandez was letting out some kicks. Yahoo's Kevin Iole reported.
Mr Iole's account of the incident was accompanied by photos that can be viewed via this link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/manny-pacquiao-aides-allegedly-attacked-photographer-brutal-knockout-005405170--box.html. The images showed Mr Koncz holding on Mr Bello by the latter's shirt while making his way out of the crowded right.
The succeeding pics also showed Mr Fernandez trying to land some kicks on the photographer and appears to berate Mr Bello when the latter was already 'out of harm's way'.
In a later interview, Mr Bello said it was Mr Pacquiao's trainer, also reportedly a close friend of the fighter, who started assaulting him. He clarified too that Mr Roach was not part of the trouble and even apologised to him for his earlier actions.
"I was where I was credentialed to be and I was trying to do my job, which is to document the event," Mr Bello told Yahoo, stressing too that he meant not to offend anyone in the course of doing his duties.
There is no intention on his part to press charges, Mr Bello added, and he only expects to get formal apologies from the two members of Team Pacquiao.
When reached for comments, Mr Koncz downplayed the incident and told Yahoo that what happened was simply "a misunderstanding in the heat of the moment."
However, he refused to comment further when informed that photographs of the incident have been posted online.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date