Sensex Expected to Rise on US Fed Stimulus Measures
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 13, 2012 2:51 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise on Thursday as investor sentiment is likely to be lifted with the U.S. Federal Reserve carrying on with the asset purchasing programme, which will provide the much needed stimulus to revive the world’s largest economy.
Market players were encouraged to note that the Federal Open Market Committee meeting that concluded on Wednesday opted to continue buying $45 billion of treasury securities per month next year, with the expiring Operation Twist programme being replaced with an expansion of QE3.
On Thursday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 1.57 percent, or 150.32 points, to 9731.78. Among major gainers were Tokuyama Corp (10.20 percent), Panasonic Corp (4.93 percent) and Nikon Corp (3.90 percent).
On Wednesday, the U.S. stocks were mixed even as the Federal Reserve decided to continue with its stimulus measure to revive economic growth. Meanwhile, according to data released Wednesday by the Labor Department the import price index, which measures the change in the price of imported goods and services purchased domestically, fell 0.9 in November down from a 0.3 percent increase in October. The Dow Jones Industrial Average marginally fell 0.02 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.04 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.28 percent.
European markets rose on Wednesday tracking upbeat announcement from the Federal Reserve. London's FTSE 100 was up 20.88 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 25.04 points and France's CAC 40 gained 0.51 points.
On Wednesday, Sensex fell 0.16 percent to 19355.26 at the close. The overall market breadth was negative with 1431 advances against 1498 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.06 percent to 7039.07 and Smallcap Index rose 0.24 percent to 7420.17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop