Sensex Expected to Rise on US Fed Stimulus Measures
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 13, 2012 2:51 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise on Thursday as investor sentiment is likely to be lifted with the U.S. Federal Reserve carrying on with the asset purchasing programme, which will provide the much needed stimulus to revive the world’s largest economy.
Market players were encouraged to note that the Federal Open Market Committee meeting that concluded on Wednesday opted to continue buying $45 billion of treasury securities per month next year, with the expiring Operation Twist programme being replaced with an expansion of QE3.
On Thursday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was up 1.57 percent, or 150.32 points, to 9731.78. Among major gainers were Tokuyama Corp (10.20 percent), Panasonic Corp (4.93 percent) and Nikon Corp (3.90 percent).
On Wednesday, the U.S. stocks were mixed even as the Federal Reserve decided to continue with its stimulus measure to revive economic growth. Meanwhile, according to data released Wednesday by the Labor Department the import price index, which measures the change in the price of imported goods and services purchased domestically, fell 0.9 in November down from a 0.3 percent increase in October. The Dow Jones Industrial Average marginally fell 0.02 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.04 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.28 percent.
European markets rose on Wednesday tracking upbeat announcement from the Federal Reserve. London's FTSE 100 was up 20.88 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 25.04 points and France's CAC 40 gained 0.51 points.
On Wednesday, Sensex fell 0.16 percent to 19355.26 at the close. The overall market breadth was negative with 1431 advances against 1498 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.06 percent to 7039.07 and Smallcap Index rose 0.24 percent to 7420.17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports