Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 12/13/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst414 | December 13, 2012 1:50 PM EST
After the recent rally which has seen the ASX 200 hit 17 month highs and the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) reach fresh 2012 highs, local stocks are trading flat today.
A new stimulus plan from the US Federal Reserve announced overnight briefly lifted the broader S&P 500 to a seven week high however Wall Street ended up closing flat as profit takers moved in and after Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said he hoped markets wouldn't have to tank to get a fiscal cliff deal.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is flat at 4592.1pts.
After a solid week for mining stocks in which iron ore miner Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) has risen by more than 13pct, there's a bit of mixed movement in the materials sector today. FMG shares are down 1.6pct to $4.21 however BHP Billiton (BHP) continues to gain, after agreeing to a US$1.63 billion cash deal to offload its stake in the proposed Browse gas project to China's PetroChina. BHP shares are firmer by 0.4pct to $35.91.
Health care stocks are an area of support, with CSL (CSL) firmer by 0.4pct to $54.72 and Cochlear (COH) up 0.5pct to $77.21.
The Australian dollar is buying US105.46c, £0.6537 and €80.72c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers