Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 12/13/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst414 | December 13, 2012 1:50 PM EST
After the recent rally which has seen the ASX 200 hit 17 month highs and the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) reach fresh 2012 highs, local stocks are trading flat today.
A new stimulus plan from the US Federal Reserve announced overnight briefly lifted the broader S&P 500 to a seven week high however Wall Street ended up closing flat as profit takers moved in and after Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said he hoped markets wouldn't have to tank to get a fiscal cliff deal.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is flat at 4592.1pts.
After a solid week for mining stocks in which iron ore miner Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) has risen by more than 13pct, there's a bit of mixed movement in the materials sector today. FMG shares are down 1.6pct to $4.21 however BHP Billiton (BHP) continues to gain, after agreeing to a US$1.63 billion cash deal to offload its stake in the proposed Browse gas project to China's PetroChina. BHP shares are firmer by 0.4pct to $35.91.
Health care stocks are an area of support, with CSL (CSL) firmer by 0.4pct to $54.72 and Cochlear (COH) up 0.5pct to $77.21.
The Australian dollar is buying US105.46c, £0.6537 and €80.72c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast