Drug Smugglers Fire Drugs From Cannon Over U.S. Border
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | December 13, 2012 7:39 AM EST
Everyday, drug smugglers and U.S. customs agents engage in a ceaseless battle of innovation. One sides tries to be foolproof and crafty to export their drugs, while the other keeps a watchful eye on the wrongdoers and attempts to be equally cunning to intercept those who participate in the illegal drug trade
Narco-subs, labyrnthean tunnels, pregnant mules, and drug drones are just a small collection of the elaborate methods agile drug runners have used to bring their illegal products into the U.S.
Just when you thought we'd reached the apex of these machinations, some smugglers have concocted yet another method of getting their merchandise into the U.S.
According to ABC News, some smugglers have began firing drug packages -- tucked into soup cans -- over the U.S. border from a cannon in Mexico.
The canisters were discovered after agents near the border in Yuma, Arizona discovered odd objects popping up in surrounding fields, the report said. Upon further investigation, agents discovered the cans to contain marijuana, some 85 pounds, or $43,000 worth. On the Mexico side of the fence, they also noticed a carbon dioxide tank used to power the cannon, the report said.
The process is this: smugglers in Mexico pack the canisters into a pneumatic-powered cannon -- like a potato gun -- and fire the objects 500 yards over the border, at which point they're retrieved and sold in the U.S.
No one came to pick up this load, however, multiple news reports aid. U.S. customs officials say the seized products will be destroyed. They called the scheme "another unique but unsuccessful attempt."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS