Typhoon Bopha: Entire Tuna Fishing Fleet was Lost in 175mph Storm
By Umberto Bacchi | December 13, 2012 1:34 AM EST
Rescue workers in the Philippines have saved three tuna fishermen from a fleet which was decimated by Typhoon Bopha, but more than 260 of their colleagues are believed lost
The rescued trio were part of a fleet comprising 46 vessels and over 300 people, which was reported missing in the 175mph winds and rough seas caused by Bopha last week.
The three men were spotted by low-flying search planes drifting in a small boat, having used mirrors to attract the attention of the pilots. They were subsequently picked up by rescue ships.
Local reports claim the men were weak and dehydrated when they were picked up, but no further details as to their condition are available.
A total of 35 of the tuna fishermen have now been rescued, while six have been found dead and 261 have still to be accounted for. Rescuers are combing the Celebes Sea and the adjoining section of the Pacific Ocean in search of further survivors.
The fleet had sailed from the southerly General Santos City back in October, and the Philippine Coast Guard said the ships were owned by six different companies.
The Philippine fishing association Pamalakaya has blamed the six companies involved for the tragedy, as they received plenty of warning that Bopha was coming.
"These tuna firms were advised to temporarily shelve their operations because of the incoming storm. But they did not heed to the advisory, and instead they pursued their perpetual thirst for precious tuna and gambled the lives of fish workers," Pamalakaya national chairman Fernando Hicap told local news site Philstar.
Typhoon Bopha killed about 700 people in total, and more than 900 are missing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert