Berlusconi Bunga Bunga Trial: Missing Witness Ruby the Heart-stealer Surfaces in Mexico
By Umberto Bacchi | December 12, 2012 10:56 PM EST
Ruby the Heart-stealer, a key witness in the Bunga Bunga trial against Silvio Berlusconi, has surfaced in Mexico just days after disappearing on the eve of her court appearance.
Ruby's lawyer Paola Boccardi says her client, real name Karima el-Mahroug, contacted her to reveal she has been staying in the Central American country with her partner and their child since late November, and will return in January.
According to Boccardi, Ruby also said she was sorry to have missed her appearance at the Bunga Bunga trial, since she had waited two years for the chance to testify.
"I am the core of this process and i can't wait for them to call me to testify," Ruby said in October.
However when the time came earlier this week, she didn't show up, her phone was off and no one knew anything about her whereabouts.
Ruby was due to tell a Milan court about her attendance of Berlusconi's alleged sex parties when she was underage, and her unjustified absence triggered a quarrel between prosecutors and Berlusconi's lawyers.
Prosecutor Ilda Boccassini accused Berlusconi's lawyers of hijacking the trial to clear the way for the former PM's announced political comeback.
"It's just a strategy to postpone the trial to the beginning of the electoral campaign," Boccassini told the court, asking judges to instruct detectives to find Ruby.
Berlusconi's lawyer, Niccolo Ghedini, in turn said that prosecutors were trying to hasten a verdict before the election. "It is the magistrates who have started the election campaign," he told reporters outside the court.
The judge ordered police to search for el-Mahroug "throughout the national territory" and the trial was adjourned to December 17.
Judges have to decide whether to scratch her testimony, as requested by Boccassini, or wait for Ruby to come back.
Berusconi is on trial on charges of underage prostitution and exaction (bribery) charges.
Italy was to hold elections in spring but since Berlusconi pulled his support for PM Mario Monti's government, it is likely the vote will take place in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown