Spanish Defender Wants Barcelona Superstar Iniesta to Join Liverpool
By Adrian Back | December 12, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Liverpool defender Jose Enrique says he would love to convince fellow Spaniard Andres Iniesta to one day join him at Anfield.
The former Newcastle left-back was being interviewed by the club's official website when he was quizzed on which member of the Spanish national team he would most like to see make the move to Merseyside.
"Andres Inesta, for sure," said Enrique. "He is a player who can turn a game but people also talk about his personality, which is really important as well. He is amazing and, along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, he is one of the best in the world."
The Barcelona superstar has spent his entire career with the Catalan club and has been a key figure in turning the side in to one of the most feared and respected club teams in world football.
As well as being recognised as one of the finest players in world football, as demonstrated with his nomination for the FIFA Ballon d'Or, the 28-year-old has won five La Liga titles, two Copa Del Ray's and the Champions League on three occasions.
Enrique lifted the first piece of silverware in his career last season when he helped Liverpool win the Carling Cup and he dreams of being able to emulate the achievements of Iniesta.
"Last year we won the cup and were in another final but I want us to win the league and the Champions League as that is a dream for any player," he added. "We will have to go step by step so our target at the moment is to finish in the top four and to do well in the Europa League and the cup competitions."
Liverpool have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League and despite a bad early run in the Premier League, they know find themselves just four points behind their Merseyside rivals Everton in fourth place.
Should Enrique help the club win major honours and return to the Champions League then he may well get his wish of playing alongside Iniesta. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans it is more likely to be while representing Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]