Spanish Defender Wants Barcelona Superstar Iniesta to Join Liverpool
By Adrian Back | December 12, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Liverpool defender Jose Enrique says he would love to convince fellow Spaniard Andres Iniesta to one day join him at Anfield.
The former Newcastle left-back was being interviewed by the club's official website when he was quizzed on which member of the Spanish national team he would most like to see make the move to Merseyside.
"Andres Inesta, for sure," said Enrique. "He is a player who can turn a game but people also talk about his personality, which is really important as well. He is amazing and, along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, he is one of the best in the world."
The Barcelona superstar has spent his entire career with the Catalan club and has been a key figure in turning the side in to one of the most feared and respected club teams in world football.
As well as being recognised as one of the finest players in world football, as demonstrated with his nomination for the FIFA Ballon d'Or, the 28-year-old has won five La Liga titles, two Copa Del Ray's and the Champions League on three occasions.
Enrique lifted the first piece of silverware in his career last season when he helped Liverpool win the Carling Cup and he dreams of being able to emulate the achievements of Iniesta.
"Last year we won the cup and were in another final but I want us to win the league and the Champions League as that is a dream for any player," he added. "We will have to go step by step so our target at the moment is to finish in the top four and to do well in the Europa League and the cup competitions."
Liverpool have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League and despite a bad early run in the Premier League, they know find themselves just four points behind their Merseyside rivals Everton in fourth place.
Should Enrique help the club win major honours and return to the Champions League then he may well get his wish of playing alongside Iniesta. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans it is more likely to be while representing Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June