Spanish Defender Wants Barcelona Superstar Iniesta to Join Liverpool
By Adrian Back | December 12, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Liverpool defender Jose Enrique says he would love to convince fellow Spaniard Andres Iniesta to one day join him at Anfield.
The former Newcastle left-back was being interviewed by the club's official website when he was quizzed on which member of the Spanish national team he would most like to see make the move to Merseyside.
"Andres Inesta, for sure," said Enrique. "He is a player who can turn a game but people also talk about his personality, which is really important as well. He is amazing and, along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, he is one of the best in the world."
The Barcelona superstar has spent his entire career with the Catalan club and has been a key figure in turning the side in to one of the most feared and respected club teams in world football.
As well as being recognised as one of the finest players in world football, as demonstrated with his nomination for the FIFA Ballon d'Or, the 28-year-old has won five La Liga titles, two Copa Del Ray's and the Champions League on three occasions.
Enrique lifted the first piece of silverware in his career last season when he helped Liverpool win the Carling Cup and he dreams of being able to emulate the achievements of Iniesta.
"Last year we won the cup and were in another final but I want us to win the league and the Champions League as that is a dream for any player," he added. "We will have to go step by step so our target at the moment is to finish in the top four and to do well in the Europa League and the cup competitions."
Liverpool have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League and despite a bad early run in the Premier League, they know find themselves just four points behind their Merseyside rivals Everton in fourth place.
Should Enrique help the club win major honours and return to the Champions League then he may well get his wish of playing alongside Iniesta. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans it is more likely to be while representing Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown