Spanish Defender Wants Barcelona Superstar Iniesta to Join Liverpool
By Adrian Back | December 12, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Liverpool defender Jose Enrique says he would love to convince fellow Spaniard Andres Iniesta to one day join him at Anfield.
The former Newcastle left-back was being interviewed by the club's official website when he was quizzed on which member of the Spanish national team he would most like to see make the move to Merseyside.
"Andres Inesta, for sure," said Enrique. "He is a player who can turn a game but people also talk about his personality, which is really important as well. He is amazing and, along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, he is one of the best in the world."
The Barcelona superstar has spent his entire career with the Catalan club and has been a key figure in turning the side in to one of the most feared and respected club teams in world football.
As well as being recognised as one of the finest players in world football, as demonstrated with his nomination for the FIFA Ballon d'Or, the 28-year-old has won five La Liga titles, two Copa Del Ray's and the Champions League on three occasions.
Enrique lifted the first piece of silverware in his career last season when he helped Liverpool win the Carling Cup and he dreams of being able to emulate the achievements of Iniesta.
"Last year we won the cup and were in another final but I want us to win the league and the Champions League as that is a dream for any player," he added. "We will have to go step by step so our target at the moment is to finish in the top four and to do well in the Europa League and the cup competitions."
Liverpool have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League and despite a bad early run in the Premier League, they know find themselves just four points behind their Merseyside rivals Everton in fourth place.
Should Enrique help the club win major honours and return to the Champions League then he may well get his wish of playing alongside Iniesta. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans it is more likely to be while representing Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports