Newfound Asteroid Buzzes Earth Closer than the Moon: 5 Things To Know
By Arlene Paredes | December 12, 2012 3:37 PM EST
Just when people are talking about the Mayan calendar end of the world predictions, an asteroid called 2012 XE54 narrowly missed Earth Tuesday, Dec. 11. The 3-mile-long asteroid 4179 Toutatis was still in the process of orbiting Earth when the newfound asteroid buzzed the planet - at a distance closer than the moon.
5 Things To Know About Asteroid 2012 XE54
1. Asteroid 2012 XE54 was discovered only two days ago on Sunday, Dec. 9. It is predicted to come close to the planet in 2.72 years.
2. XE54 measures about 0.022 miles (0.037 kilometers). In contrast, the bigger peanut-shaped asteroid called Toutatis measures 2.7 miles (4.3 kilometers) long and 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) wide.
3. The size of XE54 can cause a significant damage in case it hits the Earth in its next orbit. In its report, livescience.com noted, a space object of the same size "flattened 800 square miles (2,000 square km) of forest when it exploded above Siberia's Podkamennaya Tunguska River in 1908."
4. XE54 buzzed Earth within 140,000 miles (230,000 kilometers). In contrast, the moon goes around the planet at an estimated average distance of 240,000 miles (386,000 km).
5. The closes approach happened at about 1000 GMT on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Space scientists are constantly studying space objects that pass within the solar system. The number of documented space rocks has reached about 9,000, according to Live Science. However, the scientists make it clear there is no current asteroid or any space object threat to the planet.
Some Dec. 21 Mayan calendar end of the world predictions involve a rogue space object that would purportedly slam into Earth. But the scientists emphasize Toutatis is too far to impact Earth when it comes closest to the planet on December 12.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet