Newfound Asteroid Buzzes Earth Closer than the Moon: 5 Things To Know
By Arlene Paredes | December 12, 2012 3:37 PM EST
Just when people are talking about the Mayan calendar end of the world predictions, an asteroid called 2012 XE54 narrowly missed Earth Tuesday, Dec. 11. The 3-mile-long asteroid 4179 Toutatis was still in the process of orbiting Earth when the newfound asteroid buzzed the planet - at a distance closer than the moon.
5 Things To Know About Asteroid 2012 XE54
1. Asteroid 2012 XE54 was discovered only two days ago on Sunday, Dec. 9. It is predicted to come close to the planet in 2.72 years.
2. XE54 measures about 0.022 miles (0.037 kilometers). In contrast, the bigger peanut-shaped asteroid called Toutatis measures 2.7 miles (4.3 kilometers) long and 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) wide.
3. The size of XE54 can cause a significant damage in case it hits the Earth in its next orbit. In its report, livescience.com noted, a space object of the same size "flattened 800 square miles (2,000 square km) of forest when it exploded above Siberia's Podkamennaya Tunguska River in 1908."
4. XE54 buzzed Earth within 140,000 miles (230,000 kilometers). In contrast, the moon goes around the planet at an estimated average distance of 240,000 miles (386,000 km).
5. The closes approach happened at about 1000 GMT on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Space scientists are constantly studying space objects that pass within the solar system. The number of documented space rocks has reached about 9,000, according to Live Science. However, the scientists make it clear there is no current asteroid or any space object threat to the planet.
Some Dec. 21 Mayan calendar end of the world predictions involve a rogue space object that would purportedly slam into Earth. But the scientists emphasize Toutatis is too far to impact Earth when it comes closest to the planet on December 12.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’