Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Gets Official Over-The-Air Android v4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update: How to Install
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 12, 2012 12:43 PM EST
Good news to Samsung Galaxy Note 2 users out there, the official OTA update of the 4.1.2 version of the Jelly Bean OS has started to roll out for the international or unlocked version of the device.
According to SamMobile, the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Note 2 is now rolling out in Poland and the Galaxy Note 2 LTE Android 4.1.2 update is rolling out in Sweden. The international Galaxy Note 2 possesses a model number of GT-N7100 while the Galaxy Note 2 LTE features GT-N7105. Both updates are currently limited to these areas though we suspect that more regions will see the update in the near future.
The update brings slight changes and additions to the device as the Notifications in that the panel is now customizable allowing owners to tailor it to their liking.
It also offers a way to toggle some features on and off through the menu including the device's powerful Multi Window View feature. Users can also disable the brightness slider from within the Notification Menu as well.
The status bar is now black as opposed to gray, the browser is now improved over the last version of the app and Samsung has added Swype-like functionality to the keyboard on the Galaxy Note 2. There also is a new ink effect that is on the lock screen.
Below is a tutorial to newbies in upgrading their Samsung Galaxy Note 2s manually:
- Remember to back-up the data and install the drivers on your computer.
- For the drivers you can download and install KIES.
- Download the firmware on your computer from here; extract the file.
- Also download Odin and then install the same on the PC.
- Open Odin.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot it in download mode: press and hold the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons until the "warning" screen will be displayed; next press on "Volume up" and download mode will be entered.
- Connect the Note 2 with the PC via its USB cable.
- Once the device is connected on Odin the "added" messages should be displayed and the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, re-install the drivers and repeat the above explained steps.
- Up next, from Odin click on "PDA".
- Select the update file from the computer and don't make any other changes in Odin (ensure that the "Re-Partition" box is not checked).
- Click on "start".
- Wait until the process ends.
- In the end on Odin the "pass" message should be displayed.
- You can unplug the USB cord.
- Reboot your phone. If it can't reboot you must enter in recovery.
- For that turn off the Note 2 (remove and restore the battery).
- Then, press and hold the Home, Volume Up and Power keys together.
- From the recovery menu select "wipe data factory reset" and "wipe cache partition".
- Next select "+++go back+++" followed by "reboot system now" and you are done.
You should keep in mind that the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will roll out gradually; therefore, it will not be available all on the markets in the same time.
Moreover, if you bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via carriers, there is a chance that the latest update will be delayed since networks usually tests the files themselves to make sure they work with any custom software tweaks before allowing the updates to reach their customers. Consumers may need to wait for days weeks or even months before this new update hits some of the carrier-branded Galaxy Note 2 models.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell