Asteroid 4179 Toutatis Near-Earth Approach: How to View Online
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 12, 2012 12:02 PM EST
Massive asteroid 4179 Toutatis, which is approximately 3 miles wide, will appear the closest within 4.3 million miles to planet Earth on early Wednesday morning. Spectators can view the extraordinary phenomenon on their computers.
Slooh Space Camera and Virtual Telescope Project will stream online both the live and free footage of the asteroid's passage from the professional-quality observatories. Slooh will webcast today the asteroid Toutatis views from a telescope at the Canary Islands off the west coast of Africa starting at 3 p.m. EST.
Another viewing will be available tonight at 10 p.m. EST with the provided footage from a device in Arizona. Both online webcasts will feature remarks from Patrick Paolucci, Slooh President and Bob Berman, a columnist for Astronomy Magazine.
Though it is a near-Earth flyby, asteroid Toutatis cannot be seen with the naked eye. In order to view the asteroid, very huge technology equipment should be used such as the Goldstone Radar which looks like a satellite dish at 230 feet across. A small telescope can be used but the asteroid will still appear like a small dot of light moving across the sky.
Scientists at the Goldstone facility near Barstow have been monitoring the asteroid Toutatis since December 4. The have also posted online unclear images of the asteroid but it can still show the oblong shape of the asteroid as well as its lumpy topography.
Lance Benner, a Jet Propulsion Laboratory research scientist, stated the asteroid is rotating very slowly. At 3 miles long, it is one of the larger objects that have approached within 18 lunar distances of the planet Earth.
When asked the most important question of whether asteroid Toutatis will collide with Earth, Benner declared it is unlikely to happen. "There is no risk of it colliding with Earth for hundreds of years. Almost 9,400 asteroids have been found so far and none of them have a significant chance of hitting us. It's the ones we haven't found yet that are of greater concern," Benner said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Why Michael Brown's Killer, Darren Wilson, Lurks In Shadows, 'Fears For His Life' And Hints That He Will Leave Police Force
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More