BuzzFeed In Hot Water Over Hatchet Job On Oatmeal Cartoonist
By Christopher Zara | December 12, 2012 10:42 AM EST
A hit piece by the viral news website BuzzFeed backfired on Monday after its intended target publicly pointed out a major factual error that rendered its thesis untenable.
The attempted exposé, written by BuzzFeed contributor Jack Stuef, was aimed at the crude-but-hilarious cartoonist Matthew Inman, creator of the popular online cartoon site The Oatmeal. In it, Stuef purports to expose Inman “hard-edged” Republican and, essentially, a hypocrite. The problem is, Stuef based his argument largely on information gleaned from a social media profile that didn’t actually belong to Inman.
In an impassioned rebuttal, Inman posted a screenshot of the BuzzFeed article and, using a bright-red cartoon font, responded point by point to all factual errors he believed Stuef had made, ultimately blasting the piece as “so blatantly wrong it borders on being libelous.” His notes included comments such as “I didn’t create this profile” and “this is not me” with an arrow pointing to a photo of the profile’s apparent owner.
“This is pageview journalism,” Inman wrote. “This is character assassination.”
Then, in an even bolder turning of the tables, Inman followed up his rebuttal with a large picture of Stuef and wrote, “I can do it, too.” Then he reposted a joke Stuef had made last year that forced him to leave his job as an editor for the website Wonkette. The joke in question poked fun at Sarah Palin’s toddler son, Trig, who has Down syndrome. A backlash erupted and Stuef subsequently left the company.
“Maybe just stop being a writer, you bitter, uninspired, bottom-feeding ass,” Inman concluded.
The rebuttal exploded on Twitter Tuesday, with fans of the cartoonist joining in criticizing Stuef for apparent shoddy reporting and a snarky article that read like an intentional hatchet job. BuzzFeed quickly revised the article, but like so many online snafus captured via screenshot these days, the damage was already done.
Responding to the incident to GigaOM’s Jeff John Roberts, BuzzFeed’s editor, Ben Stein, said the site deeply regretted the article’s “major factual error,” but he stopped short of offering a bona fide apology.
Roberts said that’s not good enough. “BuzzFeed’s growing stature means it deserves a few minutes over the coals,” he wrote. “The site made its name with funny cat pictures but is now a major force in serious media. In the last year, it has partnered with the New York Times to cover political conventions and launched New Yorker style long-form journalism. If BuzzFeed wants to enjoy the prestige of those publications, it will have to do a better job of owning its mistakes.”
Roberts wrote that Smith could not say whether BuzzFeed would continue to allow Stuef to contribute.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop