Westpac Ditches Printed Brochures in Favour of iPads
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 12, 2012 9:53 AM EST
Westpac is embracing technology further by doing away with printed brochures and replacing them with iPads as part of the bank's major makeover. While the announcement spells bad news for the bank's printers, it represents a business opportunity for Apple since Westpac plans to have at least three iPads for customer use in each of 680 branches.
The tablet computers would be deployed in the branches slated for revamp over the next three years. These branches, called BankNow branches, will shrink in terms of physical space as Westpac removes security screens at teller counters and install smart ATMs to cut long lines at the cash machines.
Ahead of the Monday announcement, Westpac actually released two months ago a tutorial on Westpac Banking for iPad app which could be seen in the following video.
Besides the availability of iPads to view Westpac brochures, digital versions of the brochures would be emailed to customers through mobile devices and made available at dedicated digital touchscreens located at shopfronts.
"The new look branch is aiming to be as paperless as possible. We're using iPads as we're finding they are the most popular table device with our customers, and the Westpac Banking for iPad app has received over 125,000 downloads," a Westpac spokesman said.
Westpac will spend $240 million for the overhaul. However, Westpac would still leave the option for people who want to bank the traditional way by providing for employees with computer terminals who will assist the bank's traditional clients.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists