2012 Mayan Doomsday Countdown: 7 Places to Go on Dec 21 for End-of-the-World Promos
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 12, 2012 9:47 AM EST
While many people believe the apocalypse prediction of the Mayan calendar would take place on Dec 21, majority of people see humour in the end-of-the-world prediction, while businesses hear the ka-ching of the cash register.
Thus, while Russians and Chinese are hoarding candles and other basic commodities and others are trooping to Bugarach in France in the hope of surviving the supposed-to-be apocalypse, entrepreneurs are cashing in on the phenomenon by offering End-of-the World promos.
Here is a glimpse of places to be for Apocalypse deals on Friday, the 21st.
1. T.G.I. Fridays is organising Mayan-inspired Last Friday celebrations at its branches in Chicago, Los Angeles, Maimi, Orlando, Tampa and Washington, D.C. Among the drinks on the menu are Mayan Margaritas.
"We don't know what is going to happen, so we might as well live it up and embrace that Friday feeling, even if it is just one last time," Restaurant News quoted T.G.I. Friday's Chief Executive Nick Shepherd.
To create a stir for the event, the restaurant created the micro Web site thelastfriday.com which includes a countdown clock. Also offered by the restaurant are survival kits and other prizes.
2. Ringo's Pub will have an End of the World party on the same day. Dave Rossetti, general manager of the bar in Plano, Texas, said bar owners would use any excuse to throw a thunderous party, including an apocalyptic event feared by some people. On its menu is a beer called La Fin du Monde, or end of the world in English.
3. Portsmouth, New Hampshire-based Margaritas Mexican Restaurant is holding its end-of-the-world party a day earlier by having an Armageddon Jalapeno-Eating Contest and a Sitting Here in Limbo challenge. The 23-unit chain also has a Facebook doomsday app.
4. For those who wish the celebrate the end times with a bacchanalian feast, they could go to Post Moderne Brasserie in Washington, D.C. and avail of its $180 multi-course dinner aptly named The Final Feast, which features wine pairing and expensive food such as foie gras and caviar.
5. The Villa Restaurant in Wayland, Massachusetts offers a 15 per cent discount and free sunglasses for the first 500 customers because if fire will fall from the heavens, a pair of sunglasses would help diners see the fireball clearly. However, if ice would fall, they would look cool in designer shades.
6. Taco Bell in Fargo, North Dakota appears not to have a promo, but said it is willing to hire staff post 12-21-12, with Mayans welcome to apply.
7. ABC2News suggest for people who may want to host their apocalypse parties to concoct drinks to die for such as a lava shot made up of one part Firewater cinnamon schnapps, one part Everclear and a splash of Tabasco sauce. It suggested naming other libations such as Black Death, The Four Horsemen Ride Again and The Shuffling Zombie.
Not taking chances that the prediction is a hoax, other business-minded people are anticipating snap sales of T-shirts with the words I Survived the Mayan Calendar.
Not to be outdone, Guatemala, the ancient home of the Mayans, invited global leaders, thinkers, philosophers and scientists for the World Summit for Humanity to celebrate the Mayan calendar.
"That day marks the conclusion of the Grand Cycle of the Mayan calendar - called 13 B'aktun - and the beginning of a new era of 5,200 years. We are at a turning point, a moment of opportunity, but overall of commitment, so that the natural order that the Mother Earth is going through parallels as human beings, our lives, our civilizations," Guatemalan Culture Minister Carlos Batzin was quoted by AFP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS