Air Force Mystery Shuttle Launch Sends Atlas 5 Rocket Carrying X-37B Into Outer Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 12, 2012 8:59 AM EST
The U.S. Air Force launched an unmanned spacecraft Tuesday for a repeat mystery mission, two years after making the first flight of its kind.
The 29-foot X-37B spaceplane circled the planet for seven months in 2010 and is now embarking on a new secret mission being referred to a OTV-3, or Orbital Test Vehicle, flight No. 3.
While little is known about the secret mission, one scientific observer, Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, speculates to the Associated Press that he spaceplane is carrying sensors designed for spying and likely is serving as a testbed for future satellites. As cited by the AP, McDowell dismisses rumors of "exotic ideas" for the X-37B as a new space weapon or shadowing a Chinese satellite.
The scientist grants that he is not 100 percent sure what the spaceplane is carrying, but says on-board sensors could be capable of imaging or intercepting transmissions from hot spots like, for example, terrorist training sites in Afghanistan. "All the sorts of things that spy satellites generally do," he said.
Experts would most likely agree that the most important achievement of the launch is that mystery mission flight is the first reflight.
"That is pretty cool," McDowell told the AP, "reusing your spacecraft after a runway landing. That's something that has only really been done with the shuttle."
NASA's space shuttles, which stretch 22 feet long, with 78-foot wingspans and weights of more than 170,000 pounds, are now forever inactive.
They were launched, from 1981 to 2011, with two strap-on booster rockets and an external fuel tank feeding three main engines.
According to the AP, The X-37B wingspan is 15 feet, and the 11,000-pound, Boeing-built vessel requires the United Launch Alliance's hefty Atlas V for hoisting. It is solar-powered once in orbit, the AP adds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28