Air Force Mystery Shuttle Launch Sends Atlas 5 Rocket Carrying X-37B Into Outer Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 12, 2012 8:59 AM EST
The U.S. Air Force launched an unmanned spacecraft Tuesday for a repeat mystery mission, two years after making the first flight of its kind.
The 29-foot X-37B spaceplane circled the planet for seven months in 2010 and is now embarking on a new secret mission being referred to a OTV-3, or Orbital Test Vehicle, flight No. 3.
While little is known about the secret mission, one scientific observer, Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, speculates to the Associated Press that he spaceplane is carrying sensors designed for spying and likely is serving as a testbed for future satellites. As cited by the AP, McDowell dismisses rumors of "exotic ideas" for the X-37B as a new space weapon or shadowing a Chinese satellite.
The scientist grants that he is not 100 percent sure what the spaceplane is carrying, but says on-board sensors could be capable of imaging or intercepting transmissions from hot spots like, for example, terrorist training sites in Afghanistan. "All the sorts of things that spy satellites generally do," he said.
Experts would most likely agree that the most important achievement of the launch is that mystery mission flight is the first reflight.
"That is pretty cool," McDowell told the AP, "reusing your spacecraft after a runway landing. That's something that has only really been done with the shuttle."
NASA's space shuttles, which stretch 22 feet long, with 78-foot wingspans and weights of more than 170,000 pounds, are now forever inactive.
They were launched, from 1981 to 2011, with two strap-on booster rockets and an external fuel tank feeding three main engines.
According to the AP, The X-37B wingspan is 15 feet, and the 11,000-pound, Boeing-built vessel requires the United Launch Alliance's hefty Atlas V for hoisting. It is solar-powered once in orbit, the AP adds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles