Air Force Mystery Shuttle Launch Sends Atlas 5 Rocket Carrying X-37B Into Outer Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 12, 2012 8:59 AM EST
The U.S. Air Force launched an unmanned spacecraft Tuesday for a repeat mystery mission, two years after making the first flight of its kind.
The 29-foot X-37B spaceplane circled the planet for seven months in 2010 and is now embarking on a new secret mission being referred to a OTV-3, or Orbital Test Vehicle, flight No. 3.
While little is known about the secret mission, one scientific observer, Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, speculates to the Associated Press that he spaceplane is carrying sensors designed for spying and likely is serving as a testbed for future satellites. As cited by the AP, McDowell dismisses rumors of "exotic ideas" for the X-37B as a new space weapon or shadowing a Chinese satellite.
The scientist grants that he is not 100 percent sure what the spaceplane is carrying, but says on-board sensors could be capable of imaging or intercepting transmissions from hot spots like, for example, terrorist training sites in Afghanistan. "All the sorts of things that spy satellites generally do," he said.
Experts would most likely agree that the most important achievement of the launch is that mystery mission flight is the first reflight.
"That is pretty cool," McDowell told the AP, "reusing your spacecraft after a runway landing. That's something that has only really been done with the shuttle."
NASA's space shuttles, which stretch 22 feet long, with 78-foot wingspans and weights of more than 170,000 pounds, are now forever inactive.
They were launched, from 1981 to 2011, with two strap-on booster rockets and an external fuel tank feeding three main engines.
According to the AP, The X-37B wingspan is 15 feet, and the 11,000-pound, Boeing-built vessel requires the United Launch Alliance's hefty Atlas V for hoisting. It is solar-powered once in orbit, the AP adds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- Jennifer Aniston Prefers Natural Ageing; Slams Cosmetic Surgery
- Breakthrough in Science: Genetic Recipe of Lizard Tail Generation Will Help Humans Get New Limbs
- The Chance To See a 125-Million Years Old Dinosaur Footprints
- Mega Spiders Will Soon Be Reality
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop