VoIP Provider Rebtel Announces New Smartphone Apps
By David Zielenziger | December 12, 2012 6:41 AM EST
Rebtel, a private Swedish provider of Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP) announced new software to permit developers to design new apps into smarphones.
The six-year-old company that claims 17 million customers said the Rebtel Voice Platform for both iOS and Android phones should enable adding VoIP applications to any other app in only 15 minutes.
The new app is “a game-changing tool,” said Rebtel CEO Andreas Bernstrom. The free tool should benefit thousands of content developers seeking to integrate voice into all manner of aps, from gambling to game-playing, the company said.
Rebtel executives plan to describe the new service Wednesday at the Appnation developers conference in San Francisco.VivFone, a private developer in Palo Alto, Calif., said it would be among the first companies to integrate its customer-research management (CRM) app with the Rebtel platform.
Backed by venture capital firms, Rebtel claims to be the No. 2 VoIP provider behind Skype, acquired last year by Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT), the No. 1 software developer, for $8.5 billion.
Rebtel said it expects 2012 revenue around $80 million. It didn't provide earnings figures.
Shares of Microsoft rose 48 cents to $27.42 in Tuesday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary