Teenager Arrested for Racist Tweet to Rio Ferdinand
By Dominic Gover | December 12, 2012 4:03 AM EST
A teenager has been arrested over a racist tweet sent to Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand.
Police held a 15-year-old suspect after an alleged offensive message was sent to the Man Utd defender and former England captain during the derby clash between United and City.
A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "An investigation was launched following a message directed at a Manchester United player.
"A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
"He has been bailed pending further enquiries."
Alex Ferguson's men won a thrilling encounter 3-2 by snatching the decisive goal deep in extra time to strengthen their place at the top of the Premier League.
But ugly scenes marred celebrations by United players, when Ferdinand was struck by a coin thrown from the crowd. The FA was investigating.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS