Transfer Blow for Chelsea as Serbians Rule out Selling Youngster
By Vishnuprasad S | December 12, 2012 3:54 AM EST
Partizan Belgrade youngster Lazar Markovic's agent has dismissed reports that his client has agreed to join Chelsea in the January transfer window.
There has been intense speculation of late that the Blues have reached an agreement with the 18-year-old regarding a move but the player's representative Fali Ramadani has now played down the possibility of a transfer by insisting that the Serbian star will not leave Belgrade in this window.
"Markovic has a contract with Partizan until 2016. Away in January? I can assure you that he will not leave in the next transfer windows. Then we'll see," Sky Sports quoted Ramadani as saying.
"Away in January? I can assure you that he will not leave in the next transfer windows. Then we'll see. Inter Milan interested? Until now no Italian club have contacted me, so I have not talked to any Inter official," the agent added.
Partizan sporting director Ljubisa Tumbakovic also insisted that the Serbian outfit will not sell Markovic in this transfer window, after it had been reported that the player had begun talks with the Blues over a possible transfer.
"I swear on my mother that I really do not know anything about this. On Saturday, I spoke with club president Dragan Djuric and he also told me that he knows nothing about Markovic's transfer to Chelsea. I don't know, he doesn't know. Maybe the journalists have better information than us in the club!" The Independent quoted Tumbakovic.
Markovic is touted as one of the best young talents to have emerged from Europe in recent years. The youngster, who operates mainly as a supporting striker, scored six league goals from 14 appearances for Partizan so far this season. The teenager has also earned six caps for the Serbia national team and has established himself as a regular member of squad captained by Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales