Nadal Raises Australia Open Hopes
By Nick Howson | December 12, 2012 3:50 AM EST
Rafael Nadal looks set to feature at the 2013 Australia Open after confirming his participation in his first tournament in six months at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi.
Nadal has been out of action since being defeated in the Wimbledon second round by Lukas Rosol, missing his defence of his Olympic singles gold at London 2012 and the US Open with a partially torn patella tendon.
The 11-time grand slam winner also missed the ATP World Tour Finals in London and Spain's Davis Cup final defeat to Czech Republic in November as fears grew surrounding a potential return date for the former world No.1
However, the Spaniard will travel to Abu Dhabi for the six-player three-day exhibition event featuring the likes of Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray on 27-29 December.
"Can't wait to get back on court in Abu Dhabi at the end of the month," Nadal wrote on Facebook. "I won the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in 2010 and 2011 - would love to get my hands on the trophy again this year!"
Last week, the 26 year old's return date was shrouded in uncertainty after he targeted April's Monte Carlo Masters and the following month's French Open as he downplayed a possible tilt at the first grand slam of the year.
"Miracles do not exist and I am unlikely to return and compete for the Australian Open. The results will not worry me in the first tournaments back.
"We are in the last stage of the recovery and I want to recover as soon as possible but I will not rush back and then have to stop again in six months or a year's time."
Having slipped to No.4 in the world behind Roger Federer and Murray, Nadal will be keen to return to his sumptuous best, however concerns remain over his participation in much of the hard court season as well as his long-term future in the sport.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance