Nadal Raises Australia Open Hopes
By Nick Howson | December 12, 2012 3:50 AM EST
Rafael Nadal looks set to feature at the 2013 Australia Open after confirming his participation in his first tournament in six months at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi.
Nadal has been out of action since being defeated in the Wimbledon second round by Lukas Rosol, missing his defence of his Olympic singles gold at London 2012 and the US Open with a partially torn patella tendon.
The 11-time grand slam winner also missed the ATP World Tour Finals in London and Spain's Davis Cup final defeat to Czech Republic in November as fears grew surrounding a potential return date for the former world No.1
However, the Spaniard will travel to Abu Dhabi for the six-player three-day exhibition event featuring the likes of Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray on 27-29 December.
"Can't wait to get back on court in Abu Dhabi at the end of the month," Nadal wrote on Facebook. "I won the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in 2010 and 2011 - would love to get my hands on the trophy again this year!"
Last week, the 26 year old's return date was shrouded in uncertainty after he targeted April's Monte Carlo Masters and the following month's French Open as he downplayed a possible tilt at the first grand slam of the year.
"Miracles do not exist and I am unlikely to return and compete for the Australian Open. The results will not worry me in the first tournaments back.
"We are in the last stage of the recovery and I want to recover as soon as possible but I will not rush back and then have to stop again in six months or a year's time."
Having slipped to No.4 in the world behind Roger Federer and Murray, Nadal will be keen to return to his sumptuous best, however concerns remain over his participation in much of the hard court season as well as his long-term future in the sport.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks