Apple's Most Important Patent is Invalid
By Louis Bedigian | December 12, 2012 3:15 AM EST
According to CBS News, Kelly Drye & Warren -- a New York-based law firm -- filed a motion to have the patent reexamined in January 2010. Coincidentally, that firm has previously served both Apple and Samsung by aiding the firms with their intellectual property work. While it is unknown if Samsung is the company behind the motion, many investors are bound to make that assumption.
The Steve Jobs multi-touch patent is important because it covers the touch interface of the company's most prominent devices -- the iPhone and the iPad. Without it, Apple's defenses could be weakened. It could also make it more difficult for Apple to pursue legal action against its South Korean adversary, Samsung.
Over the past few years, Apple has accumulated an insurmountable number of lawsuits. The Mac maker initiated many of these lawsuits as it attempted to quash the competition through litigation. That strategy backfired when Samsung and other firms began to counter sue. It has also inspired a plethora of Chinese firms to attack Apple over patent and trademark infringement.
While Apple seemed to have gained the upper hand when it won a $1 billion verdict in its first domestic patent trial with Samsung, the South Korean firm may have found a way to eliminate that verdict and start over.
That being the case, Apple's biggest win may ultimately come from its settlement with HTC. The company had reportedly vowed to fight Apple to the death. Failing that, HTC settled with Apple for an undisclosed sum. The settlement terms call for a deal that lasts 10 years and can be extended in the future.
Apple, which has lost more than eight percent of its value over the last five days, does not seem to have endeared investors with these lawsuits. In fact, the iPhone creator actually declined more than one percent in the week after the $1 billion verdict was announced last August.
Follow me @LouisBedigianBZ
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales