Ireland: Model Deirdre Lynch Dies from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome
By Hannah Osborne | December 12, 2012 2:34 AM EST
An aspiring model has died from sudden adult death syndrome while she was at work at the Eco restaurant in Cork.
Deidre Lynch, 20, died suddenly and was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at hospital despite efforts by paramedics.
Lynch featured in an Irish "Model of the Future" competition at University College Cork where she was a second-year arts student.
She had appeared in a number of magazines and newspapers working as a model.
David Halpin, manager of Eco restaurant, said: "It is devastating for everyone, particularly the manner in which it happened.
"She was talking one minute and the next she collapsed. When somebody that age collapses you think it is epilepsy or diabetes. You don't think it is her heart. You don't expect this."
Lynch is survived by her parents, sister, Kate, and grandmother, Brenda.
Kate Lynch wrote a statement on behalf of the family on Facebook: "As everyone can understand, my family and I are going through a very tough time right now.
"We would like to say we appreciate the messages so far but would like to ask people to refrain from posting on her wall for the time being. Thank you very much for your support and well wishes."
Eco was closed as a mark of respect on the day following her death. In a statement the restaurant said: "We are shocked and deeply saddened at the death of our beautiful friend and colleague Deirdre. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family."
A spokeswoman from the Christ the King Secondary School, where Deidre was a former student, said: "She was an amazing girl. She epitomised all that was good about the school.
"She was a former head girl and led by example. She was an amazing person who was very supportive to other students. We are all devastated at the loss of a shining light."
The British Heart Foundation said that approximately three young people die unexpectedly from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (Sads) every week.
Sads occurs when the rhythm of the heartbeat is disrupted.
It is believed Sads was the cause of Lynch's death although investigations are ongoing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage