Richard Branson Sells Virgin Atlantic Stake After £1m BA Wager
By Martin Baccardax | December 12, 2012 2:09 AM EST
Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson has found a new partner for his Virgin Atlantic Airways group as he attempts to challenge British Airways' dominance of long-haul flights from London's Heathrow Airport.
US carrier Delta Airlines, the country's second largest, said today it was purchasing a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, currently held by Singapore Airlines, for around $360m (£223m/€277m). Singapore Airlines paid just under $1bn for the stake in 1999.
The two carriers also announced a joint-venture that would lead to more than 20 trans-Atlantic flights each day from Heathrow.
The tie-up will "provide a more effective competitor between North America and the U.K., particularly on the New York-London route, which is the largest airline route between the U.S. and Europe," said Delta CEO Richard Anderson said in a statement published Tuesday.
Branson, the chariman who founded the airline nearly 30 years ago, said the deal "signals the start of a new era of expansion, financial growth and many opportunities."
Virgin booked an £80.2m loss last year thanks in part to high fuel prices, Europe's on-going recession and the stiff competition created by BA's alliance with American Airlines.
The deal comes just a day after Branson, 62, said he was prepared to wager £1 million on the survival of his Virgin Atlantic brand after comments from Willie Walsh, the CEO of BA owner International Airlines Group, suggested otherwise.
Branson said he would distribute the cash to BA employees saying on his company blog post: Sorry, BA, we're not going anywhere!
"The last time BA had to make a settlement to me for damages (in part for spreading not dissimilar false rumours) I split the money amongst our staff. Rather than suing them on this occasion, I will pay £1 million to their staff if Virgin Atlantic disappears within say five years. If not, BA pays our staff £1 million."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’