Richard Branson Sells Virgin Atlantic Stake After £1m BA Wager
By Martin Baccardax | December 12, 2012 2:09 AM EST
Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson has found a new partner for his Virgin Atlantic Airways group as he attempts to challenge British Airways' dominance of long-haul flights from London's Heathrow Airport.
US carrier Delta Airlines, the country's second largest, said today it was purchasing a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, currently held by Singapore Airlines, for around $360m (£223m/€277m). Singapore Airlines paid just under $1bn for the stake in 1999.
The two carriers also announced a joint-venture that would lead to more than 20 trans-Atlantic flights each day from Heathrow.
The tie-up will "provide a more effective competitor between North America and the U.K., particularly on the New York-London route, which is the largest airline route between the U.S. and Europe," said Delta CEO Richard Anderson said in a statement published Tuesday.
Branson, the chariman who founded the airline nearly 30 years ago, said the deal "signals the start of a new era of expansion, financial growth and many opportunities."
Virgin booked an £80.2m loss last year thanks in part to high fuel prices, Europe's on-going recession and the stiff competition created by BA's alliance with American Airlines.
The deal comes just a day after Branson, 62, said he was prepared to wager £1 million on the survival of his Virgin Atlantic brand after comments from Willie Walsh, the CEO of BA owner International Airlines Group, suggested otherwise.
Branson said he would distribute the cash to BA employees saying on his company blog post: Sorry, BA, we're not going anywhere!
"The last time BA had to make a settlement to me for damages (in part for spreading not dissimilar false rumours) I split the money amongst our staff. Rather than suing them on this occasion, I will pay £1 million to their staff if Virgin Atlantic disappears within say five years. If not, BA pays our staff £1 million."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best