Lethal Bizzle: Dame Judi Dench Helped My Stay Dench Business
By Toyin Owoseje | December 12, 2012 12:49 AM EST
British rapper Lethal Bizzle has revealed that he plans to send Dame Judi Dench a Christmas card after she helped his business.
The London-born artist, whose real name is Maxwell Ansah, claims that after the Skyfall actress wore a hat from his clothing line Stay Dench sales rocketed.
According to the Pow! hitmaker, her unexpected endorsement was enough to take the brand global.
Discussing how he felt when he heard her endorse his brand during a promotional chat with Radio 1 DJ Greg James, Lethal told The Sun: "I was worried she was going to slag me off. It was crazy, man.
"I pulled over to the side of the road when she came on the radio and she really smashed it.
"When she started saying in her posh voice that her grandchildren wore T-shirts saying 'Dengchang' on them it had me in stitches.
"I'll send her a Christmas card and send her whole family some Dengchang stuff."
Dench clothing was the brainchild of Lethal B and his business partner and cousin, Arsenal star Emmanuel Frimpong. The duo, who launched the brand earlier this year, used the term when celebrating their goals while competing against each other playing Fifa.
The 28-year-old entrepreneur says that since the Dame Judi namedropping, the company has had orders from across the globe.
"They [sales] have gone mental. I'll wake up and I'll get random sales at 3am from Australia.
"We'd been talking to Selfridges for a while but the reaction from Judi hurried up the deal. They took loads of caps. They were like, 'We can't ignore this'. It sealed the deal."
"When me and Frimpong were playing Fifa, [it was] like 'what a dench goal', as in cool.
"I got 100 printed and sold them on my mate's website - they all went within one hour. After that, it grew from there and Arsenal started selling them in the club shop, as well as online."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate