Lethal Bizzle: Dame Judi Dench Helped My Stay Dench Business
By Toyin Owoseje | December 12, 2012 12:49 AM EST
British rapper Lethal Bizzle has revealed that he plans to send Dame Judi Dench a Christmas card after she helped his business.
The London-born artist, whose real name is Maxwell Ansah, claims that after the Skyfall actress wore a hat from his clothing line Stay Dench sales rocketed.
According to the Pow! hitmaker, her unexpected endorsement was enough to take the brand global.
Discussing how he felt when he heard her endorse his brand during a promotional chat with Radio 1 DJ Greg James, Lethal told The Sun: "I was worried she was going to slag me off. It was crazy, man.
"I pulled over to the side of the road when she came on the radio and she really smashed it.
"When she started saying in her posh voice that her grandchildren wore T-shirts saying 'Dengchang' on them it had me in stitches.
"I'll send her a Christmas card and send her whole family some Dengchang stuff."
Dench clothing was the brainchild of Lethal B and his business partner and cousin, Arsenal star Emmanuel Frimpong. The duo, who launched the brand earlier this year, used the term when celebrating their goals while competing against each other playing Fifa.
The 28-year-old entrepreneur says that since the Dame Judi namedropping, the company has had orders from across the globe.
"They [sales] have gone mental. I'll wake up and I'll get random sales at 3am from Australia.
"We'd been talking to Selfridges for a while but the reaction from Judi hurried up the deal. They took loads of caps. They were like, 'We can't ignore this'. It sealed the deal."
"When me and Frimpong were playing Fifa, [it was] like 'what a dench goal', as in cool.
"I got 100 printed and sold them on my mate's website - they all went within one hour. After that, it grew from there and Arsenal started selling them in the club shop, as well as online."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales