Lethal Bizzle: Dame Judi Dench Helped My Stay Dench Business
By Toyin Owoseje | December 12, 2012 12:49 AM EST
British rapper Lethal Bizzle has revealed that he plans to send Dame Judi Dench a Christmas card after she helped his business.
The London-born artist, whose real name is Maxwell Ansah, claims that after the Skyfall actress wore a hat from his clothing line Stay Dench sales rocketed.
According to the Pow! hitmaker, her unexpected endorsement was enough to take the brand global.
Discussing how he felt when he heard her endorse his brand during a promotional chat with Radio 1 DJ Greg James, Lethal told The Sun: "I was worried she was going to slag me off. It was crazy, man.
"I pulled over to the side of the road when she came on the radio and she really smashed it.
"When she started saying in her posh voice that her grandchildren wore T-shirts saying 'Dengchang' on them it had me in stitches.
"I'll send her a Christmas card and send her whole family some Dengchang stuff."
Dench clothing was the brainchild of Lethal B and his business partner and cousin, Arsenal star Emmanuel Frimpong. The duo, who launched the brand earlier this year, used the term when celebrating their goals while competing against each other playing Fifa.
The 28-year-old entrepreneur says that since the Dame Judi namedropping, the company has had orders from across the globe.
"They [sales] have gone mental. I'll wake up and I'll get random sales at 3am from Australia.
"We'd been talking to Selfridges for a while but the reaction from Judi hurried up the deal. They took loads of caps. They were like, 'We can't ignore this'. It sealed the deal."
"When me and Frimpong were playing Fifa, [it was] like 'what a dench goal', as in cool.
"I got 100 printed and sold them on my mate's website - they all went within one hour. After that, it grew from there and Arsenal started selling them in the club shop, as well as online."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists