UBS to charge banks for Swiss franc deposits from December 21
December 11, 2012 11:14 PM EST
The Swiss-based bank first said in August 2011 it could penalise third-party bank clients for holding francs, while last week Credit Suisse
The move by Credit Suisse helped push the franc to a 10-week low last week and the UBS action also weighed on the Swissie on Tuesday. The franc was down 0.3 percent at 1.2108 at 1113 GMT.
The Swiss National Bank imposed a cap on the franc at 1.20 per euro in September 2011 to shield the economy after the currency soared by a quarter in just a few months, pushed up by safe-haven flows fleeing the euro zone crisis.
"We encourage our customers to keep their Swiss franc balances as low as possible, considering their usual cash clearing needs with us," UBS said in a statement to clients seen by Reuters.
"We will start applying a charge for credit balances maintained by financial institutions in their franc cash clearing accounts with UBS in Zurich, effective December 21, 2012," UBS said.
The SNB declined to comment on the UBS move.
Economists polled by Reuters predict that the SNB will reiterate its commitment to hold down the franc at its quarterly monetary policy meeting on Thursday.
A majority of economists do not expect Swiss officials to resort to additional measures to deter safe-haven flows if the euro zone crisis continues to fester.
Of those who did expect further measures, a charge on sight deposits - the cash commercial banks hold with the central bank - was considered the most likely, followed by forcing commercial banks to charge offshore clients to hold franc deposits.
Two months ago, Bank of New York Mellon
Rock bottom interest rates in Denmark and Switzerland have made it difficult for the custody banks, which administer funds for asset managers and pensions, to cover their costs in certain areas.
(Reporting by Katharina Bart; editing by Patrick Graham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS