Apple iPhone 5S Release Date Tipped For June With 128GB Storage, 6-8 Colors And More; iPhone 6 Prototypes Also Exist
By Kukil Bora | December 11, 2012 8:38 PM EST
Apple surprised the tech world by releasing the iPad 4 just seven months after the launch of its third generation iPad in March. Now, if a new research note by one Wall Street analyst is to be believed, the Cupertino tech giant is expected to make yet another swift update by releasing its upcoming smartphone model, unofficially dubbed “iPhone 5S,” as early as June, 2013.
Jeffries analyst Peter Misek said in a research note Monday that with the release of iPhone 5S in June, Apple would break from the iPhone release pattern that it has established over the last couple of years. While the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 were launched in June/July time frame, Apple broke the momentum by releasing the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 in the September/October time frame.
Here the question arises – why would Apple want to get back to the mid-year launch for its flagship smartphone? Although Misek didn’t provide any specific answer, another analyst, Horace Dediu of Asymco, attempted to give an explanation for it.
Apple experienced a significant drop in sales two quarters prior to the launch of the iPhone 5 as customers had held back on purchases because they knew that a new device was going to be released.
“Too many potential buyers are now conditioned to wait for fall to buy iPhones thus sapping demand for half the year. Apple ends up with an inability to meet demand for half the year and a sales lull for the other half,” said Dediu.
That’s the reason Apple now wants not to load all its sales into one half of the year. Although speeding up product releases might make the customers to skip generations, it would stabilize the company’s sales numbers while keeping the products new and competitive, according to Dediu.
Significant Hardware Upgrades
Coming back to Misek’s predictions, he also made a number of interesting claims regarding the features of the iPhone 5S. The analyst said that the next generation iPhone would come with a number of hardware upgrades, including "super HD camera/screen, a better battery, and NFC.” Other possible new feature could also include an IGZO screen for Retina+, 128GB storage and multiple color options with 6 to 8 colors in addition to the current black and white offerings.
Misek even went further and said that a number of different iPhone 6 prototypes were also circulating.
“Several iPhone 6 prototypes appear to be floating around. The model with a 4.8" screen is the most interesting,” Misek added. “It has a Retina+ IGZO screen, a new A7 quad-core processor variant, and a new form factor with no home button. Full gesture control is also possibly included.”
In addition, the analyst also talked about a low-cost iPhone model, which, he said, was "not greenlit yet.” However, he stated that the price of the device could be in between $200 and $250 without a service contract and it could be launched in 2013.
"Our checks indicate a low-cost model would be a retooled iPhone 4 with a scaled-down modem, apps processor, etc.," Misek said. "Foxconn International Holdings already has a supply chain for capacity scaling up to 200-300K units per day."
Fifth Gen iPad In Summer, iTV In Next Fall
As far as the fifth generation iPad is concerned, Misek believed that it would also be launched around June next year. The device would feature an IGZO display and it would be much thicker and lighter, compared to the existing model.
When it comes to the long rumored Apple television set, dubbed “iTV”, Misek said that the device could be launched in September or October next year.
"iTV prototypes are also floating around," Misek said. "Gesture and voice control along with new user interface are the main innovations."
Considering Misek’s track record of iPhone-related prophecies, his predictions in question seem trustworthy. Before the launch of the fifth generation iPhone, when everyone was calling for an iPhone 5, it was Misek who called for an iPhone 4S that eventually turned out to be true.
However, given that things are very murky now and it is too early to settle on a specific date for the release of the next gen iPhone, readers should take every rumor with a grain of salt. Misek successfully predicted an iPhone 4S, but he did miss on other claims such as a thinner IGZO-based iPad for the third generation of the device earlier this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'GTA V' For PC, PS4, Xbox One: More DLC Updates And Release Confirmed This Fall
- Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire May Not Be The Only Pokemon Game With This ‘Shocking’ Project
- 'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 'Minecraft' 14w34b Snapshot, 'Minecraft PS Vita' Trailer And A Possible Oculus Rift Port
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo vs. LG G2 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display