Apple iPhone 5S Release Date Tipped For June With 128GB Storage, 6-8 Colors And More; iPhone 6 Prototypes Also Exist
By Kukil Bora | December 11, 2012 8:38 PM EST
Apple surprised the tech world by releasing the iPad 4 just seven months after the launch of its third generation iPad in March. Now, if a new research note by one Wall Street analyst is to be believed, the Cupertino tech giant is expected to make yet another swift update by releasing its upcoming smartphone model, unofficially dubbed “iPhone 5S,” as early as June, 2013.
Jeffries analyst Peter Misek said in a research note Monday that with the release of iPhone 5S in June, Apple would break from the iPhone release pattern that it has established over the last couple of years. While the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 were launched in June/July time frame, Apple broke the momentum by releasing the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 in the September/October time frame.
Here the question arises – why would Apple want to get back to the mid-year launch for its flagship smartphone? Although Misek didn’t provide any specific answer, another analyst, Horace Dediu of Asymco, attempted to give an explanation for it.
Apple experienced a significant drop in sales two quarters prior to the launch of the iPhone 5 as customers had held back on purchases because they knew that a new device was going to be released.
“Too many potential buyers are now conditioned to wait for fall to buy iPhones thus sapping demand for half the year. Apple ends up with an inability to meet demand for half the year and a sales lull for the other half,” said Dediu.
That’s the reason Apple now wants not to load all its sales into one half of the year. Although speeding up product releases might make the customers to skip generations, it would stabilize the company’s sales numbers while keeping the products new and competitive, according to Dediu.
Significant Hardware Upgrades
Coming back to Misek’s predictions, he also made a number of interesting claims regarding the features of the iPhone 5S. The analyst said that the next generation iPhone would come with a number of hardware upgrades, including "super HD camera/screen, a better battery, and NFC.” Other possible new feature could also include an IGZO screen for Retina+, 128GB storage and multiple color options with 6 to 8 colors in addition to the current black and white offerings.
Misek even went further and said that a number of different iPhone 6 prototypes were also circulating.
“Several iPhone 6 prototypes appear to be floating around. The model with a 4.8" screen is the most interesting,” Misek added. “It has a Retina+ IGZO screen, a new A7 quad-core processor variant, and a new form factor with no home button. Full gesture control is also possibly included.”
In addition, the analyst also talked about a low-cost iPhone model, which, he said, was "not greenlit yet.” However, he stated that the price of the device could be in between $200 and $250 without a service contract and it could be launched in 2013.
"Our checks indicate a low-cost model would be a retooled iPhone 4 with a scaled-down modem, apps processor, etc.," Misek said. "Foxconn International Holdings already has a supply chain for capacity scaling up to 200-300K units per day."
Fifth Gen iPad In Summer, iTV In Next Fall
As far as the fifth generation iPad is concerned, Misek believed that it would also be launched around June next year. The device would feature an IGZO display and it would be much thicker and lighter, compared to the existing model.
When it comes to the long rumored Apple television set, dubbed “iTV”, Misek said that the device could be launched in September or October next year.
"iTV prototypes are also floating around," Misek said. "Gesture and voice control along with new user interface are the main innovations."
Considering Misek’s track record of iPhone-related prophecies, his predictions in question seem trustworthy. Before the launch of the fifth generation iPhone, when everyone was calling for an iPhone 5, it was Misek who called for an iPhone 4S that eventually turned out to be true.
However, given that things are very murky now and it is too early to settle on a specific date for the release of the next gen iPhone, readers should take every rumor with a grain of salt. Misek successfully predicted an iPhone 4S, but he did miss on other claims such as a thinner IGZO-based iPad for the third generation of the device earlier this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools