Nelson Mandela Treated for Lung Infection [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | December 11, 2012 8:29 PM EST
Former South Africa's president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela is suffering from a recurrent lung infection and is receiving treatment at a Pretoria hospital, according to the presidential spokesman.
Mac Maharaj, spokesman for president Jacob Zuma, also told IBTimes UK that he does not know when the 94-year-old will be discharged.
Mandela was taken to the hospital on Saturday at 1 Military Hospital near South Africa's capital, Pretoria.
His wife Graca Machel told ENews Central Africa (ENCA) that his trademark "sparkle" was waning, but refused to give details about Mandela's health status.
"I mean, this spirit and this sparkle, you see that somehow it's fading," she said. "To see him ageing, it's something also which pains you [...] You understand and you know it has to happen,"
In January 2011, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what officials initially described as tests but what turned out to be an acute respiratory infection.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report