Arsenal Plan Shock Move for United Winger - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 11, 2012 6:32 PM EST
Arsene Wenger is looking to strengthen the Gunners' squad in January and the report claims that the Frenchman now feels the Portuguese international could be a vital addition to his ranks.
Nani's current contract with the Red Devils runs out in under two years and there has been intense speculation about his future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old, who has not featured regularly for United this season, recently stated his desire to play more games, increasing further doubts about a possible exit either in January or next summer
"Only God knows what awaits me. I am in perfect condition - I am physically good and feeling confident. I am the same Nani as always," the winger said.
The former Sporting Lisbon star was heavily linked with Russian side Zenit St Petersburg in the summer but the move did not materialise. Agent and former Manchester City legend Georgi Kinkladze recently revealed that the deal fell through as Nani demanded high wages to leave England for Russia.
"He really wanted to be with Zenith - and I had contact with United. But the Portuguese requested a salary that was abandoned; €11m per year. In my opinion, Nani specifically named the sum, that turned into negotiations but he did not plan to go anywhere. He's 26 years, playing in the best club in the Premier League," Kinkladze explained.
Meanwhile, Wenger continues his struggles with the contract situation of forward Theo Walcott. The England international has just seven months remaining on his current deal and is yet to sign an extension. The 23-year-old is keen on a central striker role and a better wage package, if he is to stay at the Emirates. And the manager has revealed that there has been not much progress in the former Southampton man's contract negotiations.
"With Theo, I have no news. I personally am not involved in that directly, indirectly of course yes, but at the moment we have not made any progress. Honestly, I am frustrated," Wenger pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- Marin Cilic Is The Third-Highest Earner On ATP Tour With His $3M US Open Prize Money
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone