Arsenal Plan Shock Move for United Winger - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 11, 2012 6:32 PM EST
Arsene Wenger is looking to strengthen the Gunners' squad in January and the report claims that the Frenchman now feels the Portuguese international could be a vital addition to his ranks.
Nani's current contract with the Red Devils runs out in under two years and there has been intense speculation about his future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old, who has not featured regularly for United this season, recently stated his desire to play more games, increasing further doubts about a possible exit either in January or next summer
"Only God knows what awaits me. I am in perfect condition - I am physically good and feeling confident. I am the same Nani as always," the winger said.
The former Sporting Lisbon star was heavily linked with Russian side Zenit St Petersburg in the summer but the move did not materialise. Agent and former Manchester City legend Georgi Kinkladze recently revealed that the deal fell through as Nani demanded high wages to leave England for Russia.
"He really wanted to be with Zenith - and I had contact with United. But the Portuguese requested a salary that was abandoned; €11m per year. In my opinion, Nani specifically named the sum, that turned into negotiations but he did not plan to go anywhere. He's 26 years, playing in the best club in the Premier League," Kinkladze explained.
Meanwhile, Wenger continues his struggles with the contract situation of forward Theo Walcott. The England international has just seven months remaining on his current deal and is yet to sign an extension. The 23-year-old is keen on a central striker role and a better wage package, if he is to stay at the Emirates. And the manager has revealed that there has been not much progress in the former Southampton man's contract negotiations.
"With Theo, I have no news. I personally am not involved in that directly, indirectly of course yes, but at the moment we have not made any progress. Honestly, I am frustrated," Wenger pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’