Arsenal Plan Shock Move for United Winger - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 11, 2012 6:32 PM EST
Arsene Wenger is looking to strengthen the Gunners' squad in January and the report claims that the Frenchman now feels the Portuguese international could be a vital addition to his ranks.
Nani's current contract with the Red Devils runs out in under two years and there has been intense speculation about his future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old, who has not featured regularly for United this season, recently stated his desire to play more games, increasing further doubts about a possible exit either in January or next summer
"Only God knows what awaits me. I am in perfect condition - I am physically good and feeling confident. I am the same Nani as always," the winger said.
The former Sporting Lisbon star was heavily linked with Russian side Zenit St Petersburg in the summer but the move did not materialise. Agent and former Manchester City legend Georgi Kinkladze recently revealed that the deal fell through as Nani demanded high wages to leave England for Russia.
"He really wanted to be with Zenith - and I had contact with United. But the Portuguese requested a salary that was abandoned; €11m per year. In my opinion, Nani specifically named the sum, that turned into negotiations but he did not plan to go anywhere. He's 26 years, playing in the best club in the Premier League," Kinkladze explained.
Meanwhile, Wenger continues his struggles with the contract situation of forward Theo Walcott. The England international has just seven months remaining on his current deal and is yet to sign an extension. The 23-year-old is keen on a central striker role and a better wage package, if he is to stay at the Emirates. And the manager has revealed that there has been not much progress in the former Southampton man's contract negotiations.
"With Theo, I have no news. I personally am not involved in that directly, indirectly of course yes, but at the moment we have not made any progress. Honestly, I am frustrated," Wenger pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide