Alcoholic Drinking Among Australian Teens Still Prevalent, Younger Teen Drinking Drops
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 11, 2012 5:49 PM EST
A survey of 25,000 Australian high school students has found that alcoholic drinking among younger teens 12 to 15 years dropped. However, those considered older teens aged 16 to 17 continued to consume alcohol in much riskier levels.
The Australian Secondary Students' Alcohol and Drug Survey, which is done every three years on students aged 12 to 17, found that one in every five pupils drank alcohol in the past week.
Compared 17 per cent in 2008, those who consumed alcohol within seven days among students aged 12 to 15 years dropped to 11 per cent, whereas for those aged 16 and 17, it was found that 33 per cent took in alcohol in the past week versus the 38 per cent in 2008.
Still, Cancer Council said that the latter age group continued to pose a concern for authorities. The survey discovered that binge drinking still is a prevalent scenario among the 16 to 17-year-olds having more than four drinks on a single occasion.
"Drinking in teenage years is linked to higher risks of alcohol dependence problems in young adulthood, and excessive consumption is a cause of many chronic illnesses such as cancer," Todd Harper, Cancer Council Victoria chief executive, said.
"It means another generation is inheriting risky drinking behavior."
Mr Harper called on the federal government to conduct public education campaigns backed up by strategies that also look at the price of alcohol.
"Some of the most potent forms of alcohol are very cheap at the moment," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date