‘Benjaman Kyle’ Mystery: 10 Things to Know About A Man's 8-Year-Long Search for Identity
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:41 PM EST
A man believed to be 64 years old has been in a desperate search for his identity for eight years now.
"Hello. My name is Benjamin Kyle. You don't know who I am. And quite frankly, neither do I," says Benjaman in a documentary produced to find someone who might recognize him.
10 Things to Know About Benjaman Kyle
1. Benjaman was found lying naked and bloodied behind a Burger King dumpster in Georgia in 2004. He had no ID or memory of how he got there. He somewhat remembers his first name is Benjaman. He came up with "Kyle" for a BK initials, i.e. Burger King.
2. He was diagnosed with retrograde amnesia, with no recall of his personal details. But he was sure of his birth date. (See Q & A below.) He is the only person in the U.S. missing persons list whose whereabouts are actually known.
3. The FBI has tried to help him, but his fingerprints and photo found no match in any database, including files of missing persons.
4. Benjaman has made TV appearances, particularly on Dr Phil, in a bid to be seen by family or friends. Age-regressed photos of him were shown, but did not help.
5. Florida State University filmmaker John Wikstrom produced a video to spread awareness of Benjaman's plight. He also started the 'Grant Benjaman Kyle a New Social Security Number' petition to help him establish a new identity. Nearly 17,000 signatures are still needed for the White House to even consider it.
6. Reddit has a question-and-answer page for him. Below are sample Qs & As:
Q. How do you know how old you are?
A. I was born ten years before Michael Jackson. I remember that distinctly.
7. He may be from - or have worked somewhere in - Indianapolis or Denver.
Q. Have you been back to Indianapolis?
A. I'd like to go back and just walk around, other than just looking around on the internet. Dr Phil talked about doing it, but they never did.
8. After Wikstrom's documentary was released, Benjaman received a special Florida state identification card. A local restaurant also hired him.
9. Benjaman was allowed to stay in an air-conditioned shed after the short film came out. He used to sleep in a field.
10. It seems no profiler has an extensive report on Benjaman. But he knows this: "A police officer in Georgia once suggested, in jest, that since they cannot find me in the records, that I was never a criminal or that I was just so good at it I never was caught."
Benjaman Kyle Short Film: In Search of Personal History and Identity
"Isn't there anyone important enough in your past life that they want to look for you?" Benjaman asks.
One can hardly imagine living without an identity for a day. No home, no family, no memory. Benjaman Kyle has lived this strange life for eight years now, and he manages to smile. How has this man lost everything?
For more information, visit http://www.findingbenjaman.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealanders Willing to Pay Tax for Maui Dolphin Protection
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]