How I Met Your Mother Season 9: Segel ‘Unlikely’ to Return, How About the Rest of the Gang?
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:13 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 appears to be impossible with reports coming in that Jason Segel, who plays Marshall Eriksen, is "unlikely" to sign a new deal.
"I hear that as of now, Segel has indicated that it is unlikely for him to return. He has not shut the door though," wrote Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com.
Weeks after the Season 7 finale, "How I Met Your Mother" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have said Season 8 was going to be "just another season." They've spoken of plans for a farewell season, and clearly, they were hoping Season 8 doesn't turn out to be the last one for them.
Negotiations are ongoing now, so fans are advised to keep their fingers crossed. Other HIMYM stars have expressed optimism for things to work out.
Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, had earlier told Entertainment Weekly "[Season 9 is] really in the financiers hands" because their contracts are ending with Season 8.
"No one wants it to go to 10, 11, 12 seasons and just outstay our welcome, but I know that their (Bays and Thomas) season 9 plan is strong," hinting he would be open to signing a new contract.
Cobie Smulders was very optimistic early this year as HIMYM Season 7 ratings proved solid. The show's audience has increased compared to the previous year, with episodes drawing an average of 10.1 million viewers.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," she told Canada.com.
If Marshall is on the fence, Lily - or the actress who plays the role - is hoping for things to work out.
"This is the greatest job I've ever had. I'd like it to work out," Alyson Hannigan told E! Online.
As for the series' main dad, either way is fine. Josh Radnor, who plays Ted Mosby, sounded neutral about HIMYM Season 9. He acknowledges that things have got to be worked out.
"Either way, it feels like we'll have had a really nice run on television [by the end of Season 8]," he told E! Online.
Fans have to remember that creators Bays and Thomas will definitely not work out a Season 9 unless everyone in the cast is on board.
Do you think "How I Met Your Mother" should run for another season?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports