How I Met Your Mother Season 9: Segel ‘Unlikely’ to Return, How About the Rest of the Gang?
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:13 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 appears to be impossible with reports coming in that Jason Segel, who plays Marshall Eriksen, is "unlikely" to sign a new deal.
"I hear that as of now, Segel has indicated that it is unlikely for him to return. He has not shut the door though," wrote Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com.
Weeks after the Season 7 finale, "How I Met Your Mother" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have said Season 8 was going to be "just another season." They've spoken of plans for a farewell season, and clearly, they were hoping Season 8 doesn't turn out to be the last one for them.
Negotiations are ongoing now, so fans are advised to keep their fingers crossed. Other HIMYM stars have expressed optimism for things to work out.
Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, had earlier told Entertainment Weekly "[Season 9 is] really in the financiers hands" because their contracts are ending with Season 8.
"No one wants it to go to 10, 11, 12 seasons and just outstay our welcome, but I know that their (Bays and Thomas) season 9 plan is strong," hinting he would be open to signing a new contract.
Cobie Smulders was very optimistic early this year as HIMYM Season 7 ratings proved solid. The show's audience has increased compared to the previous year, with episodes drawing an average of 10.1 million viewers.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," she told Canada.com.
If Marshall is on the fence, Lily - or the actress who plays the role - is hoping for things to work out.
"This is the greatest job I've ever had. I'd like it to work out," Alyson Hannigan told E! Online.
As for the series' main dad, either way is fine. Josh Radnor, who plays Ted Mosby, sounded neutral about HIMYM Season 9. He acknowledges that things have got to be worked out.
"Either way, it feels like we'll have had a really nice run on television [by the end of Season 8]," he told E! Online.
Fans have to remember that creators Bays and Thomas will definitely not work out a Season 9 unless everyone in the cast is on board.
Do you think "How I Met Your Mother" should run for another season?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate