How I Met Your Mother Season 9: Segel ‘Unlikely’ to Return, How About the Rest of the Gang?
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:13 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 appears to be impossible with reports coming in that Jason Segel, who plays Marshall Eriksen, is "unlikely" to sign a new deal.
"I hear that as of now, Segel has indicated that it is unlikely for him to return. He has not shut the door though," wrote Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com.
Weeks after the Season 7 finale, "How I Met Your Mother" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have said Season 8 was going to be "just another season." They've spoken of plans for a farewell season, and clearly, they were hoping Season 8 doesn't turn out to be the last one for them.
Negotiations are ongoing now, so fans are advised to keep their fingers crossed. Other HIMYM stars have expressed optimism for things to work out.
Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, had earlier told Entertainment Weekly "[Season 9 is] really in the financiers hands" because their contracts are ending with Season 8.
"No one wants it to go to 10, 11, 12 seasons and just outstay our welcome, but I know that their (Bays and Thomas) season 9 plan is strong," hinting he would be open to signing a new contract.
Cobie Smulders was very optimistic early this year as HIMYM Season 7 ratings proved solid. The show's audience has increased compared to the previous year, with episodes drawing an average of 10.1 million viewers.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," she told Canada.com.
If Marshall is on the fence, Lily - or the actress who plays the role - is hoping for things to work out.
"This is the greatest job I've ever had. I'd like it to work out," Alyson Hannigan told E! Online.
As for the series' main dad, either way is fine. Josh Radnor, who plays Ted Mosby, sounded neutral about HIMYM Season 9. He acknowledges that things have got to be worked out.
"Either way, it feels like we'll have had a really nice run on television [by the end of Season 8]," he told E! Online.
Fans have to remember that creators Bays and Thomas will definitely not work out a Season 9 unless everyone in the cast is on board.
Do you think "How I Met Your Mother" should run for another season?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles