How I Met Your Mother Season 9: Segel ‘Unlikely’ to Return, How About the Rest of the Gang?
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:13 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 appears to be impossible with reports coming in that Jason Segel, who plays Marshall Eriksen, is "unlikely" to sign a new deal.
"I hear that as of now, Segel has indicated that it is unlikely for him to return. He has not shut the door though," wrote Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com.
Weeks after the Season 7 finale, "How I Met Your Mother" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have said Season 8 was going to be "just another season." They've spoken of plans for a farewell season, and clearly, they were hoping Season 8 doesn't turn out to be the last one for them.
Negotiations are ongoing now, so fans are advised to keep their fingers crossed. Other HIMYM stars have expressed optimism for things to work out.
Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, had earlier told Entertainment Weekly "[Season 9 is] really in the financiers hands" because their contracts are ending with Season 8.
"No one wants it to go to 10, 11, 12 seasons and just outstay our welcome, but I know that their (Bays and Thomas) season 9 plan is strong," hinting he would be open to signing a new contract.
Cobie Smulders was very optimistic early this year as HIMYM Season 7 ratings proved solid. The show's audience has increased compared to the previous year, with episodes drawing an average of 10.1 million viewers.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," she told Canada.com.
If Marshall is on the fence, Lily - or the actress who plays the role - is hoping for things to work out.
"This is the greatest job I've ever had. I'd like it to work out," Alyson Hannigan told E! Online.
As for the series' main dad, either way is fine. Josh Radnor, who plays Ted Mosby, sounded neutral about HIMYM Season 9. He acknowledges that things have got to be worked out.
"Either way, it feels like we'll have had a really nice run on television [by the end of Season 8]," he told E! Online.
Fans have to remember that creators Bays and Thomas will definitely not work out a Season 9 unless everyone in the cast is on board.
Do you think "How I Met Your Mother" should run for another season?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' RECAP Season 4 Episode 10 [Mid-Season Finale]: Louis Finds Out About Mike's Truth In This Is Rome [SPOILERS]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch