How I Met Your Mother Season 9: Segel ‘Unlikely’ to Return, How About the Rest of the Gang?
By Arlene Paredes | December 11, 2012 5:13 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 appears to be impossible with reports coming in that Jason Segel, who plays Marshall Eriksen, is "unlikely" to sign a new deal.
"I hear that as of now, Segel has indicated that it is unlikely for him to return. He has not shut the door though," wrote Nellie Andreeva of Deadline.com.
Weeks after the Season 7 finale, "How I Met Your Mother" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have said Season 8 was going to be "just another season." They've spoken of plans for a farewell season, and clearly, they were hoping Season 8 doesn't turn out to be the last one for them.
Negotiations are ongoing now, so fans are advised to keep their fingers crossed. Other HIMYM stars have expressed optimism for things to work out.
Neil Patrick Harris, who plays Barney Stinson, had earlier told Entertainment Weekly "[Season 9 is] really in the financiers hands" because their contracts are ending with Season 8.
"No one wants it to go to 10, 11, 12 seasons and just outstay our welcome, but I know that their (Bays and Thomas) season 9 plan is strong," hinting he would be open to signing a new contract.
Cobie Smulders was very optimistic early this year as HIMYM Season 7 ratings proved solid. The show's audience has increased compared to the previous year, with episodes drawing an average of 10.1 million viewers.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," she told Canada.com.
If Marshall is on the fence, Lily - or the actress who plays the role - is hoping for things to work out.
"This is the greatest job I've ever had. I'd like it to work out," Alyson Hannigan told E! Online.
As for the series' main dad, either way is fine. Josh Radnor, who plays Ted Mosby, sounded neutral about HIMYM Season 9. He acknowledges that things have got to be worked out.
"Either way, it feels like we'll have had a really nice run on television [by the end of Season 8]," he told E! Online.
Fans have to remember that creators Bays and Thomas will definitely not work out a Season 9 unless everyone in the cast is on board.
Do you think "How I Met Your Mother" should run for another season?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet