Asian Stocks Mixed Ahead of US Federal Reserve Meeting
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | December 11, 2012 3:16 PM EST
Asian stocks remained mixed in the morning trade ahead of the US Federal Reserve's meeting which is expected to unveil further monetary stimulus measures this week.
Japan's Nikkei average traded 0.29percent or 27.46 points lower to 9,506.29 while South Korea's KOSPI was up 0.17 percent or 3.38 points to 1,960.80. China's Shanghai Composite Index fell 0.17 percent or 3.64 points to 2,080.13. Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.31 percent or 68.89 points to 22,345.61.
The US Federal Reserve's monetary policy committee is set to meet for a two day session this week. Investors and analysts remain optimistic that the committee will launch another long-term asset purchase programme as its current economic stimulus plan 'Operation Twist' ends this month.
The US markets had closed higher earlier on this hope, along with indications that the negotiations to avoid the 'fiscal cliff' crisis are making some progress. Statements released over the weekend by the White House and the House Speaker remained similar, which analysts suggest as a sign that an end to the deadlock may be in sight.
The Dollar firmed about 82.37 Yen while the Euro steadied. The single currency had plunged earlier on concerns of a political crisis in Italy. But the fall proved to be temporary as it gained to $1.2937, off the earlier low of $1.2880 as the Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti dismissed concerns of a potential political imbalance as he resigns earlier than expected.
Economic concerns gained momentum in Japan after the country's government re-confirmed that growth contracted 0.9 percent in the quarter ending September. Growth in the previous quarter too had seen contraction according to revised figures, confirming that the country is technically in recession. However, analysts expect that the economy has bottomed out and could pick up moderately in 2013.
"The latest figures on Japan's economy suggest that it has already fallen into recession and is unlikely to emerge before next year," said analysts at Capital Economics.
"However, whilst the economic backdrop is bad, it is at least not getting any worse. Firms expect a recovery in the first half of 2013, albeit one of very little substance".
Utilities dropped in Tokyo. Shares of Chubu Electric Power Company were down 5.71 percent while those of The Kansai Electric Power Company fell 6.44 percent. Shares of the struggling chipmaker Renesas gained 3.57 percent following reports that the company secured a vital bailout package.
Shipping related firms STX Pan Ocean Company and STX Offshore & Shipbuilding Company traded higher in Seoul, up 14.96 and 10.10 percent. Shares of the electronic major Samsung retreated 0.94 percent after surging to record levels in the previous session.
Metal producer Citic Pacific, up 4.12 percent and financial firm AIA Group, which gained 3.51 percent were the major gainers in Hong Kong.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 21, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports