Sensex Expected to Remain Range Bound Ahead of US FOMC Meet
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 11, 2012 2:58 PM EST
Investors are expecting the Federal Reserve to announce the extension of the $85 billion purchase of securities each month when Operation Twist, its maturity extension programme, ends on Dec 31.
On Monday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 0.29 percent, or 27.46 points, to 9506.29. Among major losers were Unitika Corp (4.76 percent), Advantest Corp (3.97 percent) and OKUMA Corp (2.95 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.44 percent, or 106.45 points, to 22373.95. Among major gainers were Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited (0.80 percent) and Hutchison Whampoa Ltd (0.45 percent).
On Monday, the U.S. stocks rose as investors hoped for Congress leaders to make progress in reaching an agreement to avert the fiscal cliff. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.11 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.03 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.30 percent.
European markets marginally rose Monday but investors continued to maintain a watchful mode amid concerns of debt crisis affecting the euro zone. The debt burden faced by Italy rose with rising yield on 10-year Italian government bonds. Investors are worried in the wake of the intended resignation of Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti. London's FTSE 100 was up 7.23 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 13.12 points and France's CAC 40 gained 6.49 points.
On Monday, Sensex marginally fell 0.07 percent to 19,409.69 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1536 advances against 1406 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index advanced 0.65 percent to 7,116.60 and Smallcap Index rose 0.32 percent to 7,470.08.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate