Sensex Expected to Remain Range Bound Ahead of US FOMC Meet
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 11, 2012 2:58 PM EST
Investors are expecting the Federal Reserve to announce the extension of the $85 billion purchase of securities each month when Operation Twist, its maturity extension programme, ends on Dec 31.
On Monday, Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 0.29 percent, or 27.46 points, to 9506.29. Among major losers were Unitika Corp (4.76 percent), Advantest Corp (3.97 percent) and OKUMA Corp (2.95 percent).
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.44 percent, or 106.45 points, to 22373.95. Among major gainers were Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited (0.80 percent) and Hutchison Whampoa Ltd (0.45 percent).
On Monday, the U.S. stocks rose as investors hoped for Congress leaders to make progress in reaching an agreement to avert the fiscal cliff. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.11 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.03 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.30 percent.
European markets marginally rose Monday but investors continued to maintain a watchful mode amid concerns of debt crisis affecting the euro zone. The debt burden faced by Italy rose with rising yield on 10-year Italian government bonds. Investors are worried in the wake of the intended resignation of Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti. London's FTSE 100 was up 7.23 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 13.12 points and France's CAC 40 gained 6.49 points.
On Monday, Sensex marginally fell 0.07 percent to 19,409.69 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1536 advances against 1406 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index advanced 0.65 percent to 7,116.60 and Smallcap Index rose 0.32 percent to 7,470.08.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How