Google Announces Updates to Maps API
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 11, 2012 11:56 AM EST
Google announced an update to the Google Maps API which will make it easier to insert vector-base maps into applications. This will provide developers better and more comprehensive set of tools to integrate maps into Android Apps.
The new API uses vector-based maps that support 2D and 3D views, and allow users to tilt and rotate the map with simple gestures. Included in the update are layers from Google Maps such as satellite, hybrid, terrain, and traffic, and indoor maps for many major airports and shopping centres in the user's apps.
Google launched the update on Monday, Dec 3, and is a part of Google Play services 2.0, allowing more simple and agile access to Google products within Android apps.
The update will directly benefit users of Android OS once developers have integrated the new maps API to their applications. There are reports that updates will also soon be made available for iOS devices.
API or application programming interface is a protocol intended to be used as an interface by software components to communicate with each other.
When used in the context of web development, an API is commonly defined as a Hypertext Transfer Protocol or HTTP request messages. In web use, APIs is allowed in publishing practice to open web communities for sharing contents and data between applications. The contents created can be dynamically be posted and updated in multiple web locations.
1. Photos can be shared from sites like Flickr, Facebook, and Photobucket.
2. Content can be embedded from SlideShare to a LinkenIn profile.
4. Video content can be embedded on sites which are served by another host.
For the developer, here are some details of Android developers' documentation.
- A callback interface for reporting when task is complete or cancelled.
- Provides views for customised rendering of info-windows.
- Callback interface for click/tap events on a marker's info windows.
- Callback interface when the user long presses on the map.
- Callback interface for drag events on markets.
- Handles a location update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers