Google Announces Updates to Maps API
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 11, 2012 11:56 AM EST
Google announced an update to the Google Maps API which will make it easier to insert vector-base maps into applications. This will provide developers better and more comprehensive set of tools to integrate maps into Android Apps.
The new API uses vector-based maps that support 2D and 3D views, and allow users to tilt and rotate the map with simple gestures. Included in the update are layers from Google Maps such as satellite, hybrid, terrain, and traffic, and indoor maps for many major airports and shopping centres in the user's apps.
Google launched the update on Monday, Dec 3, and is a part of Google Play services 2.0, allowing more simple and agile access to Google products within Android apps.
The update will directly benefit users of Android OS once developers have integrated the new maps API to their applications. There are reports that updates will also soon be made available for iOS devices.
API or application programming interface is a protocol intended to be used as an interface by software components to communicate with each other.
When used in the context of web development, an API is commonly defined as a Hypertext Transfer Protocol or HTTP request messages. In web use, APIs is allowed in publishing practice to open web communities for sharing contents and data between applications. The contents created can be dynamically be posted and updated in multiple web locations.
1. Photos can be shared from sites like Flickr, Facebook, and Photobucket.
2. Content can be embedded from SlideShare to a LinkenIn profile.
4. Video content can be embedded on sites which are served by another host.
For the developer, here are some details of Android developers' documentation.
- A callback interface for reporting when task is complete or cancelled.
- Provides views for customised rendering of info-windows.
- Callback interface for click/tap events on a marker's info windows.
- Callback interface when the user long presses on the map.
- Callback interface for drag events on markets.
- Handles a location update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’