Google Has a "Generational Lead" Over Microsoft, Research In Motion
By Louis Bedigian | December 11, 2012 10:21 AM EST
With an estimated 1.3 million Android activations per day, Google (NASDAQ: GOOG [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]) is believed to have a "generational lead" over its competitors -- except Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL).
Trip Chowdhry, the Managing Director of Equity Research at Global Equities Research, sent a note to investors outlining the impressive growth that Google has experienced:
April 2011 – 350K activations per day
June 2011 – 550K activations per day
December 2011 – 700K activations per day
February 2012 – 850K activations per day
June 2012 – 900K activations per day
September 2012 – 1,300K activation per day
"Presently, there are more than 500 million phones in the market and more than 700,000 applications in Google [Play]," Chowdhry wrote. "Apple iOS has more than 200 million phones in the market and have more than 740,000 applications in Apple App Store. These numbers (devices and applications) from Google and Apple are so huge, that it will make the Android and Apple devices very sustainable and enduring in their respective ecosystems."
Chowdhry also said that in just three years, "both Google and Apple have shifted the center of mobile innovation from Europe to USA."
"Both Google and Apple's mobile strategies have been centered on users and developers," he added. "Both Google and Apple give developers the freedom to write Applications and distribute applications without any friction and in a democratic manner though Application Stores. The user has many choices to select the application that best fits their need."
Finally, Chowdhry detailed the potential for iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry 10:
Follow me @LouisBedigianBZ
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]