2012 Mayan Doomsday Countdown: France Blocks Access to Bugarach Mountain Considered by Some as Safe Place During Apocalypse
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 11, 2012 10:19 AM EST
In the run-up to the Dec 21, 2012 doomsday scenario caused by global concern over an end-of-the-world possibility based on Mayan calendar predictions, French authorities have prevented access to the Bugarach Mountain.
The temporary closure is for four days around the date. The place's mayor prohibited gatherings of any sort during that period and threatened to arrest anyone who lands in a light aircraft.
The mountain is believed by some to be a sacred place that would protect them from an apocalypse. Bugarach is a 4,040-foot mountain, also called the upside down mountain because the top layers of rock are older the lower layers due to uplift of the Pyrenees.
It is located on the Green Meridian and s such became a popular destination in the 1960s and 1970s with the hippie movement and New Age followers in the later part of the 20th century because of belief that it has mystical powers.
Some cult followers think aliens live inside the mountain and would spare humans who decide to leave Earth with them in the believed apocalypse. As a result, visitors doubled to more than 20,000 in 2011, prompting Miviludes, the cult watchdog in France, to place the village under its monitoring for possible mass suicides.
In 1995, mass suicides were committed in the Alps by members of the Order of the Solar Temple sect when their forecast Doomsday did not happen.
Even some Christian groups are not discounting the possibility of an apocalypse based on the last book of the New Testament, but some view what could happen on 12-21-12 is a pre-apocalypse event.
With just twelve days left to the so-called apocalypse, French police have started to investigate how some landowners are profiting from the scare caused by the Mayan prediction. The Australian reports that a landowner is leasing his four-bedroom house at Pic de Bugarach, located at the foot of the mystic mountain, for $1,870 a night. For people with smaller end-of-the-world budgets, they could instead set up a tent in the slopes of the mountain for 400 euro.
For the mid-class apocalypse believers, a bed-and-breakfast room is available for 500 euro on Dec 21, but its location is 19 kilometres away and outside the safety zone, based on the prophecy.
Also for sale are authentic Bugarach stones for 1.5 euro a gram and mineral water in a 500 millilitre bottle for 15 euro. A local winemaker is marketing an End of the World vintage and Survival Vintage.
The authorities in charge of the region lamented how business-minded people are exploiting the prediction for their own profitable ends. "I find it really outrageous to abuse the naivety of people and rush into commerce that defies common sense," The Telegraph quoted Eric Freysselinard, prefer of the Aude department which includes the Bugarach.
Outside France, there are reports that some Web sites in the U.S. are selling tickets to access the mountain on 21. For those who could not afford the exorbitant prices, they instead bought survival shelters, which registered a hike in sales.
Mayan researchers have converged in Helsinki since the second week of November to study all aspects of research into Mayan culture in preparation for the conference slated to begin this week, but would end Dec 15. It is organised by the Department of World Cultures of Helsinki University and European Association of.Mayanists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes