Malta calls March election after budget defeat
December 11, 2012 9:21 AM EST
VALLETTA - - Malta called an early election on Monday after its centre-right government failed to get its 2013 budget through parliament by one vote.
Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi told journalists the Maltese parliament would be dissolved on January 7 and a new election held on March 9.
The budget was defeated after Franco Debono, a member of the ruling Nationalist Party, voted against it, robbing the government of its one-seat majority.
Debono has been an increasingly fierce critic of the government, particularly transport minister Austin Gatt, over decisions to hand the running of the island's bus system to Germany's Arriva and the use of heavy fuel oil at a new power station instead of gas.
Malta, the smallest of the 17 countries that use the euro, has largely sidestepped the troubles of its larger neighbours and its economy grew by 1.9 percent in real terms in the third quarter of this year.
The Nationalists, elected by a slim majority in 2008, are trailing the opposition Labour Party by about nine points, according to opinion polls published by a Maltese newspaper on Sunday.
Without the budget defeat, they could have held out without an election until August.
Labour leader Joseph Muscat has said he would retain the budget measures - including a reduction of the top rate of income tax to 32 percent - to ensure economic instability.
(Editing by Andrew Heavens)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports