Treasury selling all its remaining AIG common stock
December 11, 2012 9:21 AM EST
The U.S. Treasury is selling its remaining stake in insurer American International Group Inc , bringing an end to government ownership of the company four years after it was rescued from the brink of bankruptcy.
In a statement on Monday, the Treasury said it launched an underwritten public offering for its remaining 234.2 million shares of common stock.
At Monday's closing prices the stake would be worth some $7.81 billion. Treasury said that the sale would be jointly led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan.
Treasury also said it would continue to hold warrants to buy common stock even after the share offering is complete.
In September 2008 AIG was rescued minutes before it would have been forced to file for bankruptcy protection. The bailout ultimately totaled $182 billion.
At one time the government estimated it would never recover all of those funds, but as AIG restructured and returned to viability it was able to repay the entire rescue plus generate a profit for taxpayers.
(Reporting by Timothy Ahmann in Washington and Ben Berkowitz in Boston; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6