Stock futures lower on fiscal cliff apprehension
December 10, 2012 11:42 PM EST
Stock futures were lower on Monday as investors awaited any sign of progress in talks to avert the United States' so-called "fiscal cliff" of tax hikes and spending cuts.
* U.S. President Barack Obama met with Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner on Sunday to negotiate ways to avoid the fiscal cliff that is set to go into effect in the new year.
* The two sides declined to provide further details about the unannounced meeting.
* Developments in the talks have kept markets on edge in the last month as investors worry the scheduled measures could send the economy into recession if politicians do not reach a deal.
* Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti announced over the weekend that he would resign once the 2013 budget is approved, driving up the country's borrowing costs.
* Also overseas, China's export growth slowed sharply in November, highlighting the global headwinds dragging on the world's second-largest economy. Other data over the weekend showed both industrial output and retail sales rose in November at their fastest annual pace in eight months, suggesting China's economy is picking up.
* S&P 500 futures fell 2.5 points and were below fair value, a formula that evaluates pricing by taking into account interest rates, dividends and time to expiration on the contract. Dow Jones industrial average futures fell 11 points, and Nasdaq 100 futures dropped 7 points.
* Ingersoll-Rand Plc
* American International Group Inc is to sell nearly all of ILFC
(Reporting By Leah Schnurr; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows