Tory MP David Davies: Most Parents Prefer Not to Have Gay Children
By Ewan Palmer | December 10, 2012 10:53 PM EST
A Conservative MP has said most parents would prefer their children not to be gay, adding the suggested plans to allow same-sex marriage are "barking mad".
David Davies, the Conservative MP for Monmouth, made the comments as Prime Minister David Cameron revealed his support for plans to allow gay marriages in religious buildings.
Davies, one of a number of Tory MPs who are opposed to the plans, told BBC Wales he believed many parents would rather their children would not be gay as it would stop them becoming grandparents.
Davies said: "If there are any sort of areas where there isn't full equality with married couples then I'd be more than happy to support making changes to civic ceremonies, so I really don't know why we need to go ahead with this at all.
"I think most people are very tolerant and have no problem at all if people are gay but - and I hate to say this, in a way, because I expect it's going to cause controversy - but I think most parents would prefer their children not to be gay, knowing most parents want grandchildren if nothing else."
Davies added the plans to allow gay marriages will alienate existing voters of the Conservative Party as well as some of its own members.
He said: "There is a political calculation here, at some level, that this is going to be good and if we go ahead with it David Cameron's going to be carried shoulder high back into number 10 by Stonewall activists, and it simply isn't going to happen.
"We're going to lose a large number of very loyal activists who've gone out and campaigned for us over the years and who don't like this idea, so politically it's barking mad".
Former Prime Minister John Major is the latest high profile Conservative to show support for gay marriage, urging Tories to follow suit as "we live in the 21st century".
Major said: "The Prime Minister's instinct to support equal marriage is a courageous and genuine attempt to offer security and comfort to people who - at present - may be together, yet feel apart. I fully understand that there are many who will find this difficult to accept, as will the Churches.
"But the Prime Minister has made it clear that the Churches will be free to make their own decisions upon whether to conduct such marriages - and that is entirely the right approach. We live in the 21st Century and must move on: every couple should have the opportunity and the right to formalise their relationship."
James J Walsh, Campaign Director of Out4Marriage said: "It's good to see Sir John Major coming out in support of Equal Marriage, especially since the odious comments that have been made by so many Tory MPs since David Cameron made the informal announcement on Friday such as those of Bob Blackman MP.
"The modernising Conservatives have a real internal battle that threatens to divide their parties MPs and Peers and from the mainstream public viewpoint".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October