European Stocks Down as Eurozone Concerns Rebound
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | December 10, 2012 7:26 PM EST
European stocks have dropped in the early minutes of trading as concerns of a potential Italian political crisis and worries over the German economy offset strong indicators from China and the US.
Europe's FTSEurofirst 300 fell 0.2 percent to 1,130.42 points, while Britain's FTSE 100 was down 0.1 percent in early trading. Italy's FTSE MIB opened 1.9 percent lower while Germany's benchmark DAX index eased 0.5 percent.
In Spain, the IBEX dropped 1.1 percent while France's CAC-40 was down 0.5 percent
The euro dropped to its lowest level in two weeks against the dollar, slipping 0.3 percent to $1.2880.
Concerns on the eurozone returned as Germany's Bundesbank said that the bloc's biggest economy could be on the brink of recession. The central bank slashed its forecasts for 2013 as the tough conditions in some of the major economies in the region and the general uncertainty could hurt growth.
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti announced over the weekend that he would resign after the country's 2013 budget is approved, possibly advancing the elections scheduled for later next year. A potential political imbalance in the country could boost Italy's borrowing costs and add to concerns on the eurozone as whole.
Meanwhile, Greece remains optimistic that its bond buyback plan, crucial for the country to receive monetary aid from its international lenders, is on track to meet the targets.
Chinese economic data released over the weekend showed that the country's industrial production jumped 10.1 percent in November, while retail sales rose climbed 14.9 percent. Trade figures released early in the day failed to meet expectations as the global slowdown hit demand in developed economies. But analysts said that despite the weak external demand, the Chinese economy is on track for stronger performance in the final quarter of the year.
"With the print of 10.1% industrial production (IP) growth in Nov, we are confident to maintain our 7.8% yoy GDP growth forecast for 4Q12 (vs 7.4% in 3Q)".
Most Asian markets ended higher, led by Chinese stocks after the strong indicators boosted hopes of recovery in the world's second largest economy.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng climbed 0.39 percent to 22276.72, while mainland China's Shanghai Composite Index was up 1.07 percent to 2083.77. Japan's Nikkei edged 0.07 percent higher to close at 9533.75. South Korea's KOSPI ended little changed at 1957.42.
Hopes of growth in the US gained momentum after the country's unemployment rate was seen to be dropping to a four-year low in November. The jobless rate fell to 7.7 percent in the month from 7.9 in the previous one.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]