2Day FM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig Speak for the First Time: 'We wanted to be hung up on'
By Arlene Paredes | December 10, 2012 5:08 PM EST
The 2Day FM DJs behind the Kate Middleton prank call have spoken for the first time about the unintended results of their supposedly "harmless phone call."
Speaking to "A Current Affair" of Australia's Channel 9, radio presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian have also spoken on the death of UK nurse Jacintha Saldanha.
ACA host Tracy Grimshaw interviewed the DJs at Austereo's Sydney office Monday morning.
"(I)t was just the team sitting down before the show . . . (W)e thought about making a call [and] it was going to go for 30 seconds, [and] we were going to be hung up on, and that was it. As innocent as that," Christian was quoted by news.com.au.
"(W)e thought a hundred people before us would've tried it . . . We wanted to be hung up on," Greig added.
"(T)here's not a minute that goes by where we don't think about [Saldanha's] family and what they must be going through and the thought we may have played a part in that is gutwrenching," said Greig.
Saldanha was found dead Friday morning, two days after receiving the supposedly innocent prank call by DJs Greig and Christian. Suicide is being investigated as possible cause of her death.
On the same day that Channel 9 interviewed the DJs, Daily Mail has run a story on Saldanha's brother saying his sister "would have felt much shame about the incident."
Grimshaw's 15-minute interview will be aired Monday night on Channel 9. For her part, Grimshaw on Saturday tweeted:
"Oh, please can we not compound the tragic death of Jacintha Saldanha by bullying the two young radio hosts. Wise heads needed now."
The shout-out was re-tweeted over four hundred times since posting. Immediately after a story on her interview was published online, Grimshaw tweeted again:
"Let me say clearly that our interview with the 2Day FM hosts for tonight's A Current Affair was NOT paid for. Neither asked nor offered."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales