2Day FM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig Speak for the First Time: 'We wanted to be hung up on'
By Arlene Paredes | December 10, 2012 5:08 PM EST
The 2Day FM DJs behind the Kate Middleton prank call have spoken for the first time about the unintended results of their supposedly "harmless phone call."
Speaking to "A Current Affair" of Australia's Channel 9, radio presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian have also spoken on the death of UK nurse Jacintha Saldanha.
ACA host Tracy Grimshaw interviewed the DJs at Austereo's Sydney office Monday morning.
"(I)t was just the team sitting down before the show . . . (W)e thought about making a call [and] it was going to go for 30 seconds, [and] we were going to be hung up on, and that was it. As innocent as that," Christian was quoted by news.com.au.
"(W)e thought a hundred people before us would've tried it . . . We wanted to be hung up on," Greig added.
"(T)here's not a minute that goes by where we don't think about [Saldanha's] family and what they must be going through and the thought we may have played a part in that is gutwrenching," said Greig.
Saldanha was found dead Friday morning, two days after receiving the supposedly innocent prank call by DJs Greig and Christian. Suicide is being investigated as possible cause of her death.
On the same day that Channel 9 interviewed the DJs, Daily Mail has run a story on Saldanha's brother saying his sister "would have felt much shame about the incident."
Grimshaw's 15-minute interview will be aired Monday night on Channel 9. For her part, Grimshaw on Saturday tweeted:
"Oh, please can we not compound the tragic death of Jacintha Saldanha by bullying the two young radio hosts. Wise heads needed now."
The shout-out was re-tweeted over four hundred times since posting. Immediately after a story on her interview was published online, Grimshaw tweeted again:
"Let me say clearly that our interview with the 2Day FM hosts for tonight's A Current Affair was NOT paid for. Neither asked nor offered."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery