2Day FM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig Speak for the First Time: 'We wanted to be hung up on'
By Arlene Paredes | December 10, 2012 5:08 PM EST
The 2Day FM DJs behind the Kate Middleton prank call have spoken for the first time about the unintended results of their supposedly "harmless phone call."
Speaking to "A Current Affair" of Australia's Channel 9, radio presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian have also spoken on the death of UK nurse Jacintha Saldanha.
ACA host Tracy Grimshaw interviewed the DJs at Austereo's Sydney office Monday morning.
"(I)t was just the team sitting down before the show . . . (W)e thought about making a call [and] it was going to go for 30 seconds, [and] we were going to be hung up on, and that was it. As innocent as that," Christian was quoted by news.com.au.
"(W)e thought a hundred people before us would've tried it . . . We wanted to be hung up on," Greig added.
"(T)here's not a minute that goes by where we don't think about [Saldanha's] family and what they must be going through and the thought we may have played a part in that is gutwrenching," said Greig.
Saldanha was found dead Friday morning, two days after receiving the supposedly innocent prank call by DJs Greig and Christian. Suicide is being investigated as possible cause of her death.
On the same day that Channel 9 interviewed the DJs, Daily Mail has run a story on Saldanha's brother saying his sister "would have felt much shame about the incident."
Grimshaw's 15-minute interview will be aired Monday night on Channel 9. For her part, Grimshaw on Saturday tweeted:
"Oh, please can we not compound the tragic death of Jacintha Saldanha by bullying the two young radio hosts. Wise heads needed now."
The shout-out was re-tweeted over four hundred times since posting. Immediately after a story on her interview was published online, Grimshaw tweeted again:
"Let me say clearly that our interview with the 2Day FM hosts for tonight's A Current Affair was NOT paid for. Neither asked nor offered."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows