Manny Pacquiao’s Loss Prevents Mayan Calendar 2012 End of the World?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 10, 2012 3:32 PM EST
Believers of the Earth's demise as per the Mayan Calendar 2012 could not be more relieved that Manny Pacquiao lost the battle against his rival Juan Manuel Marquez in their fourth meeting.
To the shock of boxing fans worldwide, Mexican pride Juan Manuel Marquez a.k.a "Dinamita" knocked out former WBO Welterweight champion Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao in their non-title fight last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
This is the fourth meeting of the two most-proficient fighters in the boxing ring. Marquez earned a draw in their first meeting and lost two controversial decisions in their second and third fights.
However, the Mexican successfully landed a right punch on the face of the former welterweight champion from the Philippines that made the champ landed face down on the ring. The whole MGM Grand erupted after Marquez beat the People's Champ and the latter lay motionless for several seconds.
However, believers of the upcoming "End of the World" as per the Mayan felt more relieved that the supreme boxer did not win his latest match.
It is believed that Pacquiao's wins are associated of the "13th day jinx", wherein unfortunate events happen 13 days after his victory. In the Philippines where the eight-division world boxer resides, his triumphs are associated with some of the greatest accidents in the country
On January 21, 2006, Manny Pacquiao faced Erik Morales held in Las Vegas, United States, after the WBC International Super Featherweight Title.
After 13 days, the PhilSports Arena stampede (also referred to as Wowowee stampede or the ULTRA stampede) happened in Pasig City, Metro Manila in the Philippines on February 4, 2006. The tragedy left 74 people dead and injured about 400.
Moreover, exactly 13 days after the Wowowee stampede happened; on February 17, 2006, a series of mudslides caused widespread damage and loss of life in the Philippine province of Southern Leyte.
The deadly landslides followed a ten-day period of heavy rains and a minor earthquake of magnitude 2.6 on the Richter scale. Fifty people are confirmed dead, but with 958 people still missing the death toll is expected to rise dramatically.
On July 7, 2006, Manny beat Óscar Larios held at the Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Philippines for the: WBC International Super Featherweight Title. Exactly 13 days after Pacquiao won this match; July 20, 2006, Mayon Volcano in the Philippines released ash clouds and rivulets of lava and sulphur dioxide levels indicate an imminent explosive eruption. Mount Mayon has erupted 47 times in recorded history, with the last major eruption in 2001 shooting ash nearly 10km above the volcano.
On November 18, 2006, Manny once again faced Erik Morales in Las Vegas, United States for the WBC International Super Featherweight Title. On December 1, 2006, just before the 13th day, Typhoon Durian created mudslides of volcanic ash and boulders off of Mayon Volcano, killing hundreds and covering a large portion of the village of Padang in mud up to houses' roofs.
On October 6, 2007, Manny Pacquiao was squared with Marco Antonio Barrera held at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, United States for the WBC International Super Featherweight Title. Exactly 13 days after Manny won this match, the memorable 2007 Glorietta bombing happened.
It was an explosion that ripped through the Glorietta 2 section of the Glorietta shopping complex at Ayala Center in Makati, Metropolitan Manila, in the Philippines on October 19, 2007. Initial reports say the explosion originated from an LPG tank explosion in an in-mall restaurant. However, authorities were unable to confirm the nature or source of the explosion. The blast has reportedly killed nine people already and injured more than 100.
The Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Guillard is part of a video clip posted on YouTube, PM Gillard said that the Mayan calendar apocalypse prediction was true.
"My dear remaining fellow Australians, the end of the world is coming. It wasn't Y2K, it wasn't even the carbon price. It turns out the Mayan calendar was true," PM Gillard stated in the brief address posted on YouTube.
However, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States debunked the apocalyptic prediction. Earlier this month, NASA posted a list of frequently asked questions about why the world won't end in 2012, like some believe the Mayans calendar indicates. The post explained that Earth has been getting along fine for the last 4 billion years and there is no threat to our planet this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid