Manny Pacquiao’s Loss Prevents Mayan Calendar 2012 End of the World?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 10, 2012 3:32 PM EST
Believers of the Earth's demise as per the Mayan Calendar 2012 could not be more relieved that Manny Pacquiao lost the battle against his rival Juan Manuel Marquez in their fourth meeting.
To the shock of boxing fans worldwide, Mexican pride Juan Manuel Marquez a.k.a "Dinamita" knocked out former WBO Welterweight champion Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao in their non-title fight last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
This is the fourth meeting of the two most-proficient fighters in the boxing ring. Marquez earned a draw in their first meeting and lost two controversial decisions in their second and third fights.
However, the Mexican successfully landed a right punch on the face of the former welterweight champion from the Philippines that made the champ landed face down on the ring. The whole MGM Grand erupted after Marquez beat the People's Champ and the latter lay motionless for several seconds.
However, believers of the upcoming "End of the World" as per the Mayan felt more relieved that the supreme boxer did not win his latest match.
It is believed that Pacquiao's wins are associated of the "13th day jinx", wherein unfortunate events happen 13 days after his victory. In the Philippines where the eight-division world boxer resides, his triumphs are associated with some of the greatest accidents in the country
On January 21, 2006, Manny Pacquiao faced Erik Morales held in Las Vegas, United States, after the WBC International Super Featherweight Title.
After 13 days, the PhilSports Arena stampede (also referred to as Wowowee stampede or the ULTRA stampede) happened in Pasig City, Metro Manila in the Philippines on February 4, 2006. The tragedy left 74 people dead and injured about 400.
Moreover, exactly 13 days after the Wowowee stampede happened; on February 17, 2006, a series of mudslides caused widespread damage and loss of life in the Philippine province of Southern Leyte.
The deadly landslides followed a ten-day period of heavy rains and a minor earthquake of magnitude 2.6 on the Richter scale. Fifty people are confirmed dead, but with 958 people still missing the death toll is expected to rise dramatically.
On July 7, 2006, Manny beat Óscar Larios held at the Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Philippines for the: WBC International Super Featherweight Title. Exactly 13 days after Pacquiao won this match; July 20, 2006, Mayon Volcano in the Philippines released ash clouds and rivulets of lava and sulphur dioxide levels indicate an imminent explosive eruption. Mount Mayon has erupted 47 times in recorded history, with the last major eruption in 2001 shooting ash nearly 10km above the volcano.
On November 18, 2006, Manny once again faced Erik Morales in Las Vegas, United States for the WBC International Super Featherweight Title. On December 1, 2006, just before the 13th day, Typhoon Durian created mudslides of volcanic ash and boulders off of Mayon Volcano, killing hundreds and covering a large portion of the village of Padang in mud up to houses' roofs.
On October 6, 2007, Manny Pacquiao was squared with Marco Antonio Barrera held at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, United States for the WBC International Super Featherweight Title. Exactly 13 days after Manny won this match, the memorable 2007 Glorietta bombing happened.
It was an explosion that ripped through the Glorietta 2 section of the Glorietta shopping complex at Ayala Center in Makati, Metropolitan Manila, in the Philippines on October 19, 2007. Initial reports say the explosion originated from an LPG tank explosion in an in-mall restaurant. However, authorities were unable to confirm the nature or source of the explosion. The blast has reportedly killed nine people already and injured more than 100.
The Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Guillard is part of a video clip posted on YouTube, PM Gillard said that the Mayan calendar apocalypse prediction was true.
"My dear remaining fellow Australians, the end of the world is coming. It wasn't Y2K, it wasn't even the carbon price. It turns out the Mayan calendar was true," PM Gillard stated in the brief address posted on YouTube.
However, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States debunked the apocalyptic prediction. Earlier this month, NASA posted a list of frequently asked questions about why the world won't end in 2012, like some believe the Mayans calendar indicates. The post explained that Earth has been getting along fine for the last 4 billion years and there is no threat to our planet this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display