Australia Introduces Health App in Time for Christmas
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 10, 2012 1:43 PM EST
During Christmas one gets sick due to stress and anxiety that the harried season sometimes give. And if you get sick right smack on Christmas Day, and it so happened you're miles away from home coz you're celebrating Christmas at some other town, the more you feel you'll get sick because you don't know of any available doctor nearby.
But fret not as the federal government, over the weekend, announced the launch of a $4.9 million health app that contains the addresses, opening schedules as well as phone numbers of GP clinics, pharmacies, emergency departments and hospitals in towns and cities all over Australia.
The free application, according to Federal Health Minister Tanya Plibersek, is accessible on both Android and Apple devices. Once a user accesses it, he or she will be connected to the National Health Services Directory and immediately get to retrieve 14,000 service records. Google Maps will even provide directions on how to go to these health providers.
"Every parent knows that a trip to the doctor or the emergency department is much more difficult when you're not familiar with the area or need to find help in the evening," Ms Plibersek said in a media statement.
"This new internet directory is easy to use and will save people, who need fast access to medical care, an enormous amount of time and trouble."
She added the directory will be expanded over the next 12 months to include more detailed information and cover more types of health services, such as allied health providers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best