Sony Says Goodbye to Walkman and Other Handheld Cassette Players
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 10, 2012 12:54 PM EST
As the famous cliché goes, all good things come to an end. Or something to that effect. In today's era ruled by smartphones, tablets, and other more convenient portable options, Sony announced over the weekend it is finally giving its Walkman and other handheld cassette players lineup the rest it deserves. Sony said that the current batch of TCM-400, TCM-410 and TCM-450 devices will be the last that it will produce, effectively easing out the product item from the IT and gadget market early next year.
Walkman is a Sony brand name used for its portable audio cassette players. The original Walkman pioneered a change in audio listening habits by enabling people to carry music with them and listen to music through lightweight headphones or earphones.
As with other business entities, Sony will discontinue the production and sale of the Walkman line of portable cassette as well as DVD players due to low market patronage. Suffice to say, the demise of the portable tape recorder is inevitable, just like the black & white TV sets of olden times.
Sony first introduced the popular Walkman in Japan in 1979. It became a favourite tool by students, journalists and even office secretaries who not only bought it for the ability to play music while on the go, but for the capability that it can record voice memo during interviews and discussions which one can later playback and review for hours on end.
With today's ever-constant changing world, Sony Walkman's entry into the vintage arena was already a fact just waiting in the offing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features