Apple-Google Join Hands to Bid $500 Million Plus for Kodak Patents: Reports
By Rohit KVN | December 10, 2012 3:30 AM EST
American technology companies Apple and Google are reportedly teaming up to bid for 1,100 imaging patents held by Eastman Kodak Company.
"The two companies, competing for dominance of the smartphone market, have partnered after leading two separate groups this summer to buy some of Kodak's 1,100 imaging patents," said people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private, Bloomberg reported.
The reported partnership between Apple and Google is not seen as a surprise to people familiar with technology business because similar deals were formed by Apple, Microsoft and RIM (Research in Motion) last year together bought Nortel Networks Corp's 6000 plus patents for $4.5 billion.
"Apple and Google learned a lesson from the Nortel's auction," said Richard Ehrlickman, former vice president of Intellectual Property at International Business Machines Corp. and president of IP Offerings, a patent brokerage and consulting company in Boca Raton, Florida.
He further said, "They have decided to come together in this process to reduce the cost of purchasing the Kodak patents, while meeting their business needs.", Bloomberg reported.
It is reported that Kodak obtained $830 million exit financing last month with a commitment that patents would most probably sell at least for $500 million.
The reported bid of more than $500 million for the Kodak patents is expected to bring some relief to the photography company which is reeling under severe cash crunch ever since the company filed for bankruptcy in January this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged