Apple-Google Join Hands to Bid $500 Million Plus for Kodak Patents: Reports
By Rohit KVN | December 10, 2012 3:30 AM EST
American technology companies Apple and Google are reportedly teaming up to bid for 1,100 imaging patents held by Eastman Kodak Company.
"The two companies, competing for dominance of the smartphone market, have partnered after leading two separate groups this summer to buy some of Kodak's 1,100 imaging patents," said people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private, Bloomberg reported.
The reported partnership between Apple and Google is not seen as a surprise to people familiar with technology business because similar deals were formed by Apple, Microsoft and RIM (Research in Motion) last year together bought Nortel Networks Corp's 6000 plus patents for $4.5 billion.
"Apple and Google learned a lesson from the Nortel's auction," said Richard Ehrlickman, former vice president of Intellectual Property at International Business Machines Corp. and president of IP Offerings, a patent brokerage and consulting company in Boca Raton, Florida.
He further said, "They have decided to come together in this process to reduce the cost of purchasing the Kodak patents, while meeting their business needs.", Bloomberg reported.
It is reported that Kodak obtained $830 million exit financing last month with a commitment that patents would most probably sell at least for $500 million.
The reported bid of more than $500 million for the Kodak patents is expected to bring some relief to the photography company which is reeling under severe cash crunch ever since the company filed for bankruptcy in January this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools