Apple-Google Join Hands to Bid $500 Million Plus for Kodak Patents: Reports
By Rohit KVN | December 10, 2012 3:30 AM EST
American technology companies Apple and Google are reportedly teaming up to bid for 1,100 imaging patents held by Eastman Kodak Company.
"The two companies, competing for dominance of the smartphone market, have partnered after leading two separate groups this summer to buy some of Kodak's 1,100 imaging patents," said people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private, Bloomberg reported.
The reported partnership between Apple and Google is not seen as a surprise to people familiar with technology business because similar deals were formed by Apple, Microsoft and RIM (Research in Motion) last year together bought Nortel Networks Corp's 6000 plus patents for $4.5 billion.
"Apple and Google learned a lesson from the Nortel's auction," said Richard Ehrlickman, former vice president of Intellectual Property at International Business Machines Corp. and president of IP Offerings, a patent brokerage and consulting company in Boca Raton, Florida.
He further said, "They have decided to come together in this process to reduce the cost of purchasing the Kodak patents, while meeting their business needs.", Bloomberg reported.
It is reported that Kodak obtained $830 million exit financing last month with a commitment that patents would most probably sell at least for $500 million.
The reported bid of more than $500 million for the Kodak patents is expected to bring some relief to the photography company which is reeling under severe cash crunch ever since the company filed for bankruptcy in January this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions